PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Hey everyone,
As we all know, there are scammers and copy cats out there who like to replicate popular items and sell them as the real thing.

I am sure we can all agree that it happens with pipes also.

With that being said, I'd like to know how one might be able to know if a Savinelli is authentic.

Will the stamp prove it is? Or is there more to look for?

While on eBay I noticed a couple pipes labeled as Savinelli's, but I saw no indication that they really were (stamp, signature, or the S on the stem).

Hopefully you all can help me out.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I wouldnt be too worried that someone is turning out bogus Savinellis. Dunhills yes, probably a few others too.

Now, a seller on Ebay having no clue what they're talking about, this is something to worry about :D

The only time Savinelli doesnt stamp their pipes (that I can think of) is if the pipe is being made for a third party (Joe Schmucks Smokeshop) or if its a Second. Even in those two cases, the small "S" inside a Shield is usually stamped somewhere on the pipe, but it is a very small stamp.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Great!

Savinelli's are my favorite at this point and I'd hate to ever spend money on a fraud. You've made it a little easier for me to sleep now! :)

I have a couple signature savs that don't have the S inside of a shield. I believe this might be due to the fact that the stem already has a signature on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Lonestar is right... Savinelli is a fairly low value pipe; no real sense in copying it. Like making counterfeit $1 bills.
I don't think Savinelli Signature pipes have the Shield; just the signature.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I've seen some Savinelli Autograph seconds that are just labeled "Handmade".
Also, their Roma line didn't always carry an S or the S and shield.
A good thing to look for is their shape numbers. They've been incredibly consistent over the years and still label their shapes for all their lines that I've seen.
Then again, I've got a sandblasted Oom Paul that I swear looks Savinellish, but I can't be sure. All it says is "Italy".

Status
Not open for further replies.