PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I just tried it last week, I find it may not suit my style of reading, I like to read a little and ponder what I've read and imagine a little movie of what I've read in my head, kind of like a hot bath soak. If you're laid up it could very well be a blessing , I will use it but not often.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
When I read I want to read. Part of the fun of reading is the quiet of being alone with one's own thoughts.
Plus there is a beauty to the simplicity of paper and no other technology for a few minutes.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
If you find yourself in a car on a regular basis for any lengthy amount of time, audio books are awesome. I had several Marvel comic storylines for my son and I to listen to when driving from Portland to Tacoma. I also utilized my radio to listen to stretches of Moby Dick that I needed to get read.
As to what to listen to, that is entirely up to your tastes. They make audio books on anything. First one I ever got was Kelsey Grammar's autobiography, on cassette.
I advise unabridged, so you don't miss out on content. I only buy unabridged. After that, for me it is more about price than subject. Moby Dick unabridged was $20, which is the most I will pay for an audio. I am unsure what the web places charge for membership.
I got a Clive Cussler book for $7 at a used book store. Clive Cussler is fun.
Anyhoo. Good luck on your search!

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
I think there is a time and place for books and audio books.

In the car etc is avoid example and a change from music.

In the UK many libraries offer audio books, which is good.

+1 to unabridged versions.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I really like Audible. I have 671 books in my library. It fits my lifestyle very well. I read dead tree books, digital books, digital magazines and dead tree magazines too. I use the app on my phone and go from there.
I'm on the go quite a bit so I've tried to digitize my life. Less in the briefcase. But the true advantage audible has is on a long drive. The miles melt away. I just finish the Fall of Berlin which is a 17 hour and 31 minute book.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Check out the Hoopla and OverDrive apps, which allow you to use your library card to check out audiobooks (and ebooks) straight to your phone or tablet. They're both free. Unfortunately, they are also a bit clunky, but you get the hang of it after a while.

I will listen to books when working at the bench for hours on end. I get tired of music and passively listening to books helps the time go by. I read every day, but sometimes, it's just nice to listen. I could suggest, but blindly not knowing what someone would want to listen to...

http://www.audible.com/series/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_1srSrs_sa?asin=B008AW0L1I

An excellent series starring a Germanic 1600's pipe smoking hangman that is sort of a Sherlock Holmes of sorts. Carries crudgel and a pipe. Awesome series, and many mentions of laws and commerce of pipe tobacco in the 1600's.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I use Audible, along with regular reading. I listen to mostly history and science fiction, though I've been getting into the Great Courses lately and the Audible Aubrey/Maturin series is the bomb - great narrator. Another thread talking about Civil War books has me about to pull the trigger on Foote's Civil War narration. I usually have several books going at the same time to suit my mood. I also re-listen to books I've finished while going to bed - great way to drift off.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Dread-
I agree on Patrick Tull's narration of the Aubrey-Maturin books. You'll want to burn Audible down after you get through volumes 1 and 2 of Foote's Civil War, only to find out they don't carry volume 3

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Ha! yes, I noticed that about the volumes of the Civil War books. Well, I have 83 hours of listening to figure out how to get the last one - it is made, they just don't carry it for some reason!

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
the storm of steel by ernst junger, awesome book about the 1st world war, it is about ernst life in the trenches and how was life during the first world war.

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
One of my favorite audio books is a collection of stories by Louis L'Amour. What makes this collection unique is that the stories are narrated by "The Highwaymen" (Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, and Kris Kristofferson).
http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/Louis-LAmour-Collection-Audiobook/B002V017KY/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1490716158&sr=1-1

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I listen to audiobooks when doing chores, or while driving, or piping outside, mostly history/military history, historical fiction, & classics.
One of my favorite books/audiobooks is Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast series (Titus Groan, Gormenghast, Titus Alone, & Titus Awakes; the last book was written by his widow) - Gothic Expressionism novels with grotesque, Dickensesque characters, in a phantasmagoric world. Peake is an unparalleled wordsmith & raconteur. (Personally, I think that his word-craft surpasses that of Tolkien).
As well, check LibriVox for free audiobooks, mostly classics, read by volunteers, so their quality varies from unlistenable to very good-to-excellent. Some diamonds-in-the-rough to be found.
Also, +1 on Patrick Tull's narration of the Aubrey-Maturin books. I have the whole series & need to re-listen to them in the future.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
@Krizzose: Audible just added volume 3 of Foote's Civil War Narrative:
http://www.audible.com/pd/History/The-Civil-War-A-Narrative-Vol-3-Audiobook/B06XY44R3H/ref=a_search_c4_1_3_srTtl?qid=1491319388&sr=1-3

Status
Not open for further replies.