Astleys: "No.2 Mixture - Blend of Virginias".

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deimitori

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2010
Hello dear pipe smoking friends!
A review of a nice pipe tobacco I smoked recently.
Astleys: "No.2 Mixture - Blend of Virginias" is an interesting blend of virginia and perique tobaccos .
Red and golden virginias finally cut in ribbon form with addition of perique. The scent when I opened the tin was the gentle aroma of raisins, figs and straw, typical natural aromas in blends in which virginia has the main role.
The ideal humidity level makes easy to light and to maintain lit the tobacco for a long smoke in the pipe .
By lighting the tobacco, the sovereignty of virginia tobacco takes the lead, light and nice aromatic. The flavors and aromas little by little are beginning to emerge. I felt "light-hearted" tasting notes of citrus, lemon, straw, and a sense of wood, always also feeling a slight sweetness, a result of the good quality virginia tobaccos in the blend. The perique appears also as the second "player", to make a successful and tasty contrast in virginia with its characteristic peppery taste.
It is light to medium in nicotine strength and it is soft and gentle to the tongue, oral and nasal cavity. It is a tobacco that can be smoked comfortable throughout the day, from the first morning coffee until after supper dinner. It leaves the bowl of the pipe without any wet or liquids and it does not dirt very much the pipe filter. The fragrance that leaves in close areas is pleasing.
I smoked the specific tobacco in many kinds of pipes filtered and unfiltered, made ​​of briar, corn cob, olive wood, pear wood and lined meerschaum. A pleasant smoking in all pipes and by smoking it in corn cobs it made it even more delicious and delightful!
I consider it a very good choice as an introduction to the Va / Per blends.
In conclusion, a remarkable and great Va / Per smoke, who does not tire and does not trouble the pipe smoker, but instead can be a companion to a relaxing and delicious pipe smoking enjoyment.
Highly recommended!
k1wj1z.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for a great write-up and for posting a much appreciated picture. I think you touched all the bases on this go-around.

It seems that #2 sits in the shadow of the more popular and difficult to find blends #109 and #44; and that's OK with me!
Forum posts seem to slide off the boards rather quickly these days, and a review this well written should be preserved in a more

durable archive than this. Please consider posting this review at LuxuryTobaccoReviews.com so it's accessible for future reference.

deimitori

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2010
Thank you very much for your kind words dear Cortez! I will add the review to the LuxuryTobaccoReviews.com soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.