Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rthbaum

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2012
I have a co-worker that I was talking with yesterday and was telling him about pipe smoking. After a few minutes his interest grew and asked if I wanted to head to the local B&M with him next week and he may pick up his first pipe. Sounds great right? Well as I was driving home I remembered that he told me he has Asthma. I was looking for anyone who has experience with pipe smoking with Asthma and could share your experience positive or negative. I would hate to see him get a pipe and then find that he can't smoke it or even worse have a serious reaction.

Thanks for your help.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I have had asthma for 65 years. I don't inhale it, have air moving and am OK. Like an A&*&^ I smoked cigs till about 8 years ago.

Pipe & cigars now.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My wife has serious asthma. She is also allergic to smoke and lots of other things. When I smoke, it is outside. Then I immediately go take a shower and toss my clothes in the wash. Everyone is different. Some of the guys on this site have stated that they have asthma, but they still smoke.

redheadedsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Iowa
I have asthma, although I haven't had a flare up in years. But, depending on the day I can smoke four or five bowls...or none. Even on the 'heavier' days, I've never had a problem and I've been diagnosed for 10 years...roughly. Since the smoke isn't circulating like cigs, it's not an issue for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Asthma is one of the more illusive illnesses, not an allergy in the understood medical sense, and triggered by

many different agents. Medical people would tell your friend not to smoke on general principles, but a doctor

who specializes in asthma might be able to suggest how often tobacco smoke is a problem. Or your friend can

just try a pipe and see. If I were you, I'd at least express a concern, so if he has a reaction, your friend can't say

you drew him in on this. It's a cruel disease, and when it's on a rampage, it's a bit like being water-boarded in

terms of not being able to get any air. My father's mom had it, but she was an incredible trooper and summered

on a farm without electricity or running water. She rarely let it stop her.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I have Alpha One my doctors all say I can have my pipe no cigars or cigarettes my ENT thinks it has more to due with heat of smoke irritating the throat and lungs,than so much the smoke itself .The pipe allows me to enjoy my tobacco and my senses .

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I've had serious asthma since I was a child. I've smoked cigars since I was in my teens and pipes for many years. As long as I'm not inhaling it's not an issue for me. Obviously everyone is different but he should be fine.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I have asthma, I have smoked a pipe for 15 years and I am a pulmonary physician. I average 6-9 bowls per day without trouble, BUT I do not deliberately inhale and I have never smoked cigarettes. I advise all pipe smokers not to deliberately inhale, and all cigarette smokers to STOP.
Why don't you let your friend smoke one of your pipes before he buys? It is a simple matter to sterilise the stem with high-proof alcohol before and after he uses it.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I was just going to suggest that. Let him try it. I have asthma and only very ocassionally do I get affected by the pipe- usually when a friend and I were in a smallish room both smoking heavy Kys. It all depends on the severity. I can really do anything I want in my life and a couple of summers ago I got quite fit, being able to cycle in high heat for hours on end. A quick skoosh of ventolin and a cold drink and I was back on the saddle.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
I have a life-long issue with asthma, chronic bronchitis, and allergies. Since i quit cigs this hasn't been a major issue, and damned if i am giving up pipe or cigar; they are worth it for the mental health.
One thing i would watch specifically is clenching; I find that clenching leads to a buildup of smoke in the mouth, and it can be hard not to inhale at least some of it, or at the very least promote prolonged contact of the smoke with the larynx and sinus passage. Daily maintenance medicine, and mindfulness of the smoking habit, should be sufficient, but make sure your dude has an emergency inhaler on hand, and FOR GOD"S SAKE make sure he doesn't inhale.

rthbaum

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2012
Thanks for all your input. I have some unsmoked MM cobs. I think I will give him one and a couple bowls of some different baccy and tell him to give it a try first and have him take a look at all your feedback. If he is ok then I will make a trip to the B&M with him and help him pick out a starter kit. Hope it works out for him. May be adding another brother to the fold!

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Not to take this thread off track, but unless I'm mistaking you for somebody else, welcome back to the forum flaky jakey. I seem to remember you left us for a while to write a paper for your medical establishment. How did that go? Have missed your imput

Status
Not open for further replies.