PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Good day folks, What a great site this is, I've enjoyed looking around. Im located in New Zealand and am keen to try a bit of pipe smoking. Easy as that may seem, things down here are not so easy for smokers. Ive acquired a very nice, slightly used hardcastle pipe but I've yet to buy some pipe tobacco. Tabacconists do not exist here, so I'll have to order from an online store. And prices are high, tobacco is a luxury that most cannot afford here. I did try smoking roll-you-owns when I was younger but found ciggies to be distasteful and could not keep it up. I'm not new to pipes and occasionaly smoke some other dried plant matter, I also enjoy single malt whiskey and the idea relaxing with a fine dram & bowl of good 'baccy seems like bliss to me. I think I will grow some tobacco plants but that will have to wait til spring, so I expect it will be close to a year before I have some home-grown. Right im off to work, catch ya'll later

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
G'day! And welcome. NZ is a gorgeous country, one I hope to re-visit one day.
Sorry have no ideas on getting pipes or tobacco down under.

zensmoker

Lurker
Mar 6, 2018
Welcome to the hobby. I am a recent convert as well and find there's nothing as relaxing as firing up a pipe. It is one of life's basic pleasures. Good luck in your quest for tobacco!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site. Your best bet for buying tobacco would be 2 of our site sponsors. 4noggins.com and smokingpipes.com. Both will ship to you I believe. From what I hear from our Canadian members 4noggins does a good job sending nondescript packaging. Hopefully you can find some blends you like at reasonable prices.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Welcome to PipesMag.
You’re in the right place, there is a lot to learn here and from some of the most gracious and patient guys in pipedom.
I’ve just emigrated to New Zealand from Canada. My family and I are settling in East Auckland. I’ve just put in orders with both site sponsors that Cigrmaster mentioned (hi Harris!) in an effort to see how bringing tobacco in through the post goes. NZ’s excise tax and duty on importing tobacco is steep. The government is essentially trying to eradicate tobacco use by taxing it to oblivion. The current duty and taxes on bringing in tobacco works out to about $0.96/g. So I have two orders inbound, each order is four 50g tins. If both are assessed correctly for duty and taxes I’ll owe the government $384. I’ve already paid $120 USD for the eight tins plus shipping. Factoring in the exchange rate my total, potential, cost in NZ $$ could be $584.00 or $73/tin. This still represents a savings of about $20 per tin in retail pricing if you can even find a shop selling pipe tobacco.
In even better news, there are four more scheduled increases in taxes on tobacco forthcoming.
You might want to consider taking up fly fishing.
Lol.
Welcome to the forum mate.
— Pat

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Good to hear from you, Pat!........... I'm going to retire in about 2 years, think I'll start a global Pipe Tobacco delivery service............ No Shit, ..... money to be made there............ :puffy:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
@beefeater - I’m your huckleberry. Soon going to have to start selling pipes for tobacco.
— Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Lol - Between the Ministry of Primary Industries and Department of Conservation that “lettuce” would be sent straight to the incinerator for a “heat treatment”! Kiwis take the fact that they live on an island and have to manage the environment super seriously.
Jokes aside, thanks buddy I truly appreciate the sentiment.
— Pat

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Pat, you're in Kiwi land?!?! North or South? Sounds like a big change, I hope you and yours are well. Funny story, I once sent two packages out on the same day, one to Canada, one to NZ. The fellow in NZ got his first!
:D

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
To the OP, from what the fellow I sent tobacco to, he told me about the cost, and availability issues.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Thanks for the welcome guys. And welcome to NZ Pat, i'll be keen to hear how your import goes as I may look at doing the same. The only way around the high tax is to get a contact to send a tin or 2 as a gift for a special occasion. I think theres a $ value limit maybe $100, but too many 'gifts' to the same address would raise their interest. Still if you can get the cost down to $78 a tin then that is a good saving over retail here.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks brass monkey. As far as I can tell, and I’ve been reading a lot, there is no allowance given for gifts or personal exemptions beyond the 50g duty free allocation for inbound travellers.
— Pat

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
I checked again and, what do you know, tobacco doesn't qualify for a gift concession so duty has to be paid. I think I will start growing some as soon as I can.

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
<p>Welcome to the Forum! I understand your pain ehen it comes to availability(variety) and price. I spend most of my year in Sweden and this place is crazy with taxes and import restrictions. A new tin of Dumhill is 260kr (about 34 US dollars!).

Status
Not open for further replies.