PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Okay, you enablers have pushed me again. I had been looking for a Morta for a while but nothing really caught my eye. I've always been a fan of the traditional Zulu shape and woila....

I couldn't decide on the transition piece so I left it to Chris and it's giraffe bone and it looks great to me. The best part is that the stem is ebonite. My Baltimore Orioles pipe takes shape....next is the Ravens pipe but after looking around, I fear the stem will need to acrylic to get the purple right.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Another true classic from Chris. The blast on these pipes just amazes me. There is excellent quality ebonite available today compared to years ago.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Beautiful pipe. I hope to get my hands on an Askwith pipe one of these days but for the time being a biiiiit out of my price range! Do you have any other Morta pipes? How do they smoke?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
That's a sharp pipe. I love the harsh/edgy lines that Mr. Askwith delivers on his morta blasts.
-- Pat

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
It's my first morta so I'll do some side by sides but enough people seem to like them that I'm not too worried about how they smoke. I was concerned about the unaged oak pipes from Mario Grandi but they might be fine.
The stem choice was pretty easy after I saw the Peterson Dracula line. I have a number of black blasts and I like them but I was amazed at how differently I looked at a black blast after I saw those candy red stems. From there, Chris was an easy choice since I've seem some great, different stems from him on other pipes before.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That is a gorgeous pipe, really well done. I love the shape and the blast, and the stem is very cool looking. I hope it smokes great for you,congrats on your newest addition. Makes sure to get back to us and let us know your thoughts on how it smokes. All these Morta pipes are gearing up my PAD in a big way.

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
Nice pipe, please forgive my naivety but it's not genuine giraffe bone is it?

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I assume so. I don't think giraffes are endangered or that it was hunted for the bone. Its not ivory....

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
Right, fair enough. It's legal and you are right that the giraffe is not endangered (yet).
I think I'd choose not to use giraffe bone but that's merely personal preference and not a criticism.
As I said nice pipe.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Auslander - I understand your position but I'd rather use all parts of an animal rather than let it go to waste. Even if ivory were legal, I'd be hesitant since I know there is poaching for that express purpose. On the other hand, I don't thinl giraffes are being slaughtered for their bone. In fact, it seems out of favor with the knife community due to certain inconsistencies in the color.
On a moral level, I don't see any difference between giraffe bone, deer antler, or mastodon ivory.

Status
Not open for further replies.