PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
In 2006 I came across an unsmoked Ashton churchwarden that had a really nice bowl but a wonky mortise. It had been drilled several degrees off-axis both vertically and sideways, so that the stem pointed noticeably "up and to the left". Looked like total ass (as my son would have said in his younger days :lol: ), but was salvageable by making the mortise straight again and giving it a new stem. Tricky, because the new mortise had to not only be aligned dead-on axially, but be just enough larger in diameter than the original to "enclose" all of it. (Imagine one oil drum sitting cockeyed inside a slightly larger second oil drum).
Since the wood surrounding the new, larger diameter mortise would be thinner than before on an already-thin pencil shank design, I figured an ornamental silver band was in order to reinforce the joint.
Everything turned out well with the exception of the band having to cover some of the nomenclature, but that was a multi-strike mess anyway. (I think that plus the crooked drilling makes a strong case for this having been one of Bill's "late afternoon" pipes. :| )
No particular reason for making the new stem shorter, it was just a mood thing at the time.
One of these days (right... it's only been eleven years :lol: ) I'll put a proper Ashton bullseye on the stem.
34.2 grams, 7.3" long
P1020483.jpg

P1020488.jpg

P1020491.jpg

P1020493.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Beautiful. I haven't seen it as a churchwarden, but I'd bet money that it looks better as a cutty.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Very nice, I'm having trouble ignoring Cuttys calling out to me lately
There is no known antidote for CuttyLust, I'm afraid. It will only get worse.
You might as well surrender and get one now, so that you'll have longer to enjoy it. :mrgreen:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Briarworks/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=260572
Or, if you're a man of means, this model is a legit rarity:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Dunhill-Root-XX-Cutty-NEAR-MINT-INCREDIBLY-RARE-SATXpipe/232578875692?hash=item3626c8012c:g:dYEAAOSwY~1Z9pJD

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Sweet Dunhill and a birth year for me as well but I'm more of a mean man than man of means :rofl:
I've been looking at those BriarWorks, too many to choose, I want them all....

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
George, your Ashton looks very good! That Dunhill with the AFU stem/shank join...not so good. :( $799, I mean really...!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Speaking of Cutty's a Barling's Make I tried to buy, but it didn't work out. Ebay software "glitch".
barlcutty-600x450.jpg

barlcutty2-600x450.jpg

However, I found a different Cutty pipe to buy.
:wink:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Speaking of Cutty's a Barling's Make I tried to buy, but it didn't work out. Ebay software "glitch".
I damn near died when I missed out on that pipe...I was locked and loaded with a bid and a backup- ready to go to $180...and Ebay took a dump...missed it by 10 seconds....I was so ready to restore that beauty..
Seeing that picture again really annoys me- I may have to make one for myself....:)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Damn, I didn't enlarge the pics before, just found the thumbnail & posted the link to antagonize DaveT... :mrgreen:
This time I DID zoom in.
That's some criminal shit, right there. :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.