PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I'd like to hear your opinions on Ascorti. I find them to be exellent smoking pipes, well made with each unique in design and one of a kind in appearance. All seem to come at a very fair price!
Ascorti, New Dear
ascortiascorti___345.jpg

Ascorti, Sabbia Di Oro KS
ascorti___pipe.jpg

Ascorti, Sabbia Di Oro KS
Ascorti_Poker2_1111.jpg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Since I got one of my first jobs in a Tinder Box, which at the time was the exclusive US distributor for Ascorti, I have a great fondness for the brand. I've probably owned a dozen or so (although not currently) and have never had a poor smoker. I'm particularly partial to the New Dear finish; I really like the top one in your very first photo. (That's the only one I'd personally go for.)
My current collection includes a bent KS Business (probably the most common shape/finish), a 1986 Christmas pipe (shaped like a mini calabash), a tall New Dear bent bulldog, and a very large-bowled smooth-finish freehand. That last one is the only smooth-finish Ascorti I've ever seen.
BTW, if you like the New Dear finish, you should check out the Underwood pipes from Radice. It's a virtually identical approach to the finish. (Not surprising, since Ascorti and Radice were working together so closely at one point.) I do tend to see slightly lower prices for Ascortis than Radices, though.
Bob

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I own 4 and agree with Bob that they are excellent smoking pipes. I am partial to the Business KS finish and you can find great deals for them.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
I also agree with Bob I own one and it is an awesome smoker, he is correct on the collaboration between Ascorti and Radice, in the market for a new pipe now and it's a toss up between the two, probably Ascorti because of the price, a lot of graduation parties in June! 8)

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I absolutely enjoy the Ascorti pipes in my collectin, at one time the only pipes I had worth smoking were from Radice and Ascorti plus the Caminetto pipes they both had their hands on. The Ascorti poker, I.e. the last photo in your post, is a to die for pipe, thanks for sharing.

banjo

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
They're excellent pipes. For some reason they're usually reasonably priced on ebay, I've gotten some great bargains.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I've had bad luck but I've only had one and it was from the newer era. Same with Caminetto.
The older ones are supposed to be pure gold.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I love the looks and smoking qualities of Ascorti pipes. The draw can be somewhat restricted, I've noticed. But that seems to occur on the older, Gold-A stem logo Ascorti as opposed to the newer ones. One of the best bargains in the smoking world, price wise, IMO.
Pipestud

hippiebrian

Lurker
Jul 1, 2014
I have my first Ascorti coming in from S.P., a New Dear bent egg estate, similar to the top one. I've loved Ascorti's style forever and have never heard a bad thing about how they smoke!

briardan

Lurker
Feb 8, 2015
The two ascorti's i have in my collection are the two best performers i own. And i have over 100 pipes! My vintage business billiard pulverizes tobacco toa fine ash! I have a number of high end pipes and this middle of the road pipe beats them all! I wouldnt trade it for anything. To me its priceless. Best yet, i bought it at an estate sale for eight bucks! I highly consider picking one up if you dont have one. You may not pay eight buck, but you will be satisfied with thr results.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Here are my Ascortis, a New Dear KS, a New Dear, and a Business KS bulldog:

The bulldog and New Dear are two of my favorite pipes. They always smoke cool and dry, very nice.

My dad bought these a long time ago, and he had more Caminettos. The Caminettos are great, but the Ascortis seem a but more robust, thicker walls and shanks, and a great smoke. I really like the New Dear rustication, both for its looks and the way it feels in the hand.

Reactions: durham270
Status
Not open for further replies.