Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I generally try to avoid self promotion however I know several of you have discussed the subject of wet shaving and my Shaving 101 website with me. Since I get a continuous stream of questions about where to start, I decided to put together some basic pointers. It's pretty high level and avoids being very specific about what exact products to buy, but I think it there's some good points to think about. Anyhow, those who are interested might get some good info out of it.
http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/education/double-edge-shaving/300-so-you-want-to-be-a-wet-shaver.html

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Thanks, one of my co-workers just gave me a shavette, so I'm going to start using that until I get the hang of it and then move to the straight razor. You really need to research it before you just take a straight razor or shavette and have a go with it. Like they recommend just starting with the cheek, then moving to another area, etc.... So many things like holding the blade properly and things like don't use more than one inch strokes and not to hold it at more than a 30% angle just isn't the kind of common sense kind of thing you just do. I don't know how people can use an electric razor, I guess if you have a really thin hair growth, but mine is course and grows fast and except for a next day touch up I just can't get a good shave with an electric razor. I can't wait until I get the hang of the shavette, the guy who gave it to me is into straight razors like we're into pipes. He said it took him a good hour to shave at first with a shavette, so I'm hoping I get the hang of it quick and can cut that down, as I don't have alot of time to shave, or don't want to spend that much time doing it. But I know it's better to just do a section and then finish with a safety razor than try my whole face of the get go and end up a bloody mess.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
I first learned to shave with what you call the "wet shaving method" since that was all there was at the time. My grandfather, in his younger days, had been a barber and taught me how to do it properly. One step he insisted was absolutely critical, and which seems to be generally overlooked (or perhaps forgotten) is the soak: wash the face, then apply a towel or wash cloth liberally soaked in hot (not warm: HOT) water to the facial area, holding it in place for at least 3 (ideally 5) minutes, occasionally re-wetting to maintain the hot temperature. Then apply the brush with soap/cream. The soaking softens the beard and helps the whiskers to stand up, making for a smoother, closer, more comfortable shave.
That being said, I now prefer the use of more modern products, and, after over 55 year of shaving, see it simply as another step in the morning process of preparing for the day. There was a time, many years ago, that I relished the ritual and the process, so I can appreciate how some of you embrace it as an enjoyable part of your morning (or evening) preparations. I still have my brush, cup, and a small supply of cakes, but they are more remembrances than tools these days.
Enjoy what makes you happy.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
I have that site bookmarked. Never knew that was your website. Great job with it!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Great article and nice site! I just started back with a DE razor in February after a hiatus of probably 15 years. I think it is finally starting to come back to me. But one thing I do know is that I don't dread shaving anymore like I used to!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
It's a great site, and when I was looking for a new DE razor, the reviews really helped (ended up with an Edwin Jagger). Fantastic job !

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I guess I'm way behind the times 'cause I had no idea, or even thought about what most young men are shaving with today. I learned to shave with canned shaving cream and a safety razor (about '68). My Dad said the canned stuff was a short-cut he wouldn't use, but a few years later I think he was using it anyway... He was active duty Navy and the quicker shave was a blessing. When I enlisted in the Marine Corps I was issued an Instamatic razor... I think that's what they called it. My first experience with a small blade embedded in plastic. It was kinda like the Bic throw-away they have now, but with a single blade. With my peach fuzz it would last quit a while....

I switched to a cup and brush eventually and have used that ever since. (Don't remember when, 25 years ago or so)... Being retired now I use a straight razor exclusively. Yes, I have all the sharping things... I sharpen my plane blades, chisels and razors at the same time... One of the most relaxing things I do in my shop.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
My first experience with a small blade embedded in plastic. It was kinda like the Bic throw-away they have now, but with a single blade. With my peach fuzz it would last quit a while.
Man those things are like genocide to my face, I like the Mach 3 Gillette, but am looking forward to being able to use a straight razor within 10 minutes for the job, as I've read it's much better using one razor than having 3-4 going over at once. It's also expensive, a package of 4 razors is like 16$, it's just this guy at my work talks so passionately about shaving with a straight razor it's made me want to start doing it that way. Those disosable bics are horrible I think, my face is a bumpy mess after.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Great site Mike - thanks for the link. I learned to shave with a DE razor, but I drifted to multi-blades and have been using them ever since. Your posts rekindled an interest in DEs and I have a Merkur 34C on the way at your recommendation. No pressure!
Andy

curl

Apr 29, 2014
It's been a loooonnnng time since I wet shaved.

20 years maybe?

Yep, you can get a much closer wet shave vs electric.

And if that's important to you, go for it.
However, I don't think anyone notices how close we shave. I rub my face after my electric shave and feel a little skoshe of roughness here and there, but close enough I tell myself. Of course at my age, perfect grooming is over rated and not worth the effort anymore. I've got other fish to fry.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Great article , I have about 8 DE'S but I don't use them anymore to much.

I have found that the Gillette Fusion works best for me. I like to use Edge shave gel and for my after shave I like peach Witch Hazel or line sent, Bay Rum is also good.
2612op4.jpg

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The best part about wet shaving is a face so smooth you become irresistible to the better half ,heck I will shave in the evening to see if I can get lucky .A three pass wet shave with a good blade beats a three bladed razor every time .It is also cheaper once you have invested in the equipment .A good brush helps to exfoliate the skin and make you look younger and it sure feels better than a wash cloth .There are more reasons but you get the point more sex . :wink:

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Nice article, and nice website!

I've been looking at picking up a DE and all the associated odds and ends for a while now, to escape my electric razor. Waiting on some spare cash to appear...

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
For the last 20 years I've been dry shaving with a disposable razor, because that's how my old man taught me (a holdover from his Army days he claims).
My wife recently bought me a straight razor and the fixings and I've been enjoying the heck out of it. Igloo's on the right track with his advice. My missus has really been getting into picking out aftershaves and shaving creams for me, because she likes the smell and feel. And in this case...if momma's happy, then I'm happy.
Mike, great site 'mano.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Thanks for the kind words guys. Much appreciated!
Day to day life gets hectic and I haven't been able to post updates as often as I'd like to. However, I am resolved to work harder at getting some new content out there. I'll have a review and photos of a really nice American made straight razor from Grim Blades coming up soon. You straight razor guys might find that one interesting!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
For the last 20 years I've been dry shaving with a disposable razor, because that's how my old man taught me (a holdover from his Army days he claims).
Are you sure he wasn't just playing a mean practical joke? That sounds painful, dry shaving with a disposable. Don't you get wicked razorburn?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Just did my first shavette shave, nowhere near as hard or as long as I thought it'd be. Stubble was pretty long though which probably made it harder. Right handed so right side is free of nicks and cuts, left side had a couple but it's not like it hurts. Overall though a smooth shave that didn't take much longer than a gilette, but I used the gilette after to get a few spots. All I can say is watch a few videos and then jump in.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Ha. No. You get used to it after awhile for everyday shaving, but if you go against the grain its pretty uncomfortable. If I went from a beard to smooth I always hit it with an electric beard trimmer first.

Status
Not open for further replies.