PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
In another thread I mentioned I don't smoke aromatics. It occurred to me that I'm not sure I have any experience with aromatics...at all. The farthest I've gone is Irish Flake. I like IF but I do occasionally find the topping intrusive and I kinda wonder why folks would want tobacco to taste like something else.
I wonder if I'm missing out on something really exceptional here. Any thoughts on a standout blend that is not sweet or laden with cherry or vanilla?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I tried several early on and only have one I really like. Scotty's Butternut Burley, I like it as it tastes and smells of cookies baking. It has to dry a bit first.

Cherry coke, strawberry 7Up, jalapeno burgers, vanilla tobaccos, people just like to mix it up a little. I used to say I only liked Virginias or hated this or that. Now, I just enjoy it all. Except Lakelands. Those are still evil to me, ha ha.
I was going to recommend something, but I have no idea what flavors you like. Does Sutliff still have that flavor finder thingy on their website?

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Hey bigpond never a bad idea to venture to the dark side of tobacco smoking I would do a sampler of aromatics at www.boswellpipes.com some of the best aromatics I've had.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Also most of their blends aren't heavily cased and in my experience don't ghost but like the berry cobbler and fruity things will heads up on that.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
There are few tobaccos that I don't like. I even learned to appreciate a couple of Lakelands, although they aren't everyday smokes.
The only bacs I don't smoke regularly are aromatics and I'm sure I will get around to trying some PM members recommended blends. God willing I live long enough. Can't take too much for granted.
Would it be incorrect to classify Lakelands as an aromatic category?

Mar 1, 2014
For someone who never tasted tobacco until later in life your average "tobacco" flavour is somewhat unsettling. Filling my mouth with candy flavour is the norm, I don't see any reason that shouldn't carry over to pipes, unless you find cherry pie and black forest cake to be appauling.

After learning to love Latakia I'm starting to warm up to the darker flakes.

It's almost like Latakia is a gateway blend for people who don't like strong tobacco flavours.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am still less than 3 years in. My tobacco experience is all self taught and I am kind of odd, but I tell non pipers that tobacco is like food. Sometimes you want natural stuff (VA) kind of like a salad. Sometimes you want meaty stuff (English and Orientals), and sometimes you want dessert (Aros).
Simplistic but true. I smoke just about everything but 1792. (horrid horrid stuff)

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"I kinda wonder why folks would want tobacco to taste like something else."
Same thing with food, I ditched all the condiments, herbs, and spices. No adulteration.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I am still searching for an aro that I can enjoy regularly, I have high hopes!

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
The only aromatic I can stand is Vanilla Creame Flake by Mcbarren. Its not really a "true" aromatic I suppose... Thats probably why I can smoke it.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
For the same reason I put butter on toast, a dash of salt on steamed vegetables, dressing on salad, or BBQ on a big old succulent rack of ribs.
Variety is the spice of life and all that...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Non-aromatics are my main blends but I like aromatics for a change of pace, as long as they have a tobacco forward taste. Some aros are mild and low keyed in a good way, like Lanes 1-Q or LL-7, and others are pretty sophisticated like Peterson Special Reserve 2013. The food analogy is great, says it all.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Dan Tobacco's Blue Note is, in my opinion, a great example of a European style aromatic. The tobacco flavor is in the forefront and is nicely balanced, supported and complimented by the added flavorings. It also smokes easily and doesn't demand a lot of attention to provide an enjoyable smoke.

Ren

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Smoking Pipes has a list of the top 11 selling aromatics on their site. I copied that list and plan on buying a sample of each to see what I think of them. It's a pretty interesting list and I think it will be a lot of fun to try them all. I'm also waiting on an aro sampler pack that I ordered from 4noggins. :puffy:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
To me Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake is a good try if you're looking for an aromatic that has a casing that's not overwhelming and the tobacco flavors come through really well. It also has an amazing room note.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
... I kinda wonder why folks would want tobacco to taste like something else.
Many of us don't like Aro's at all but they're so "popular" that we try not to put them down ... too much. :wink:
Smoke what you like and like what you smoke! :puffy:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
... I kinda wonder why folks would want tobacco to taste like something else.

Many of us don't like Aro's at all but they're so "popular" that we try not to put them down ... too much. :wink:
Smoke what you like and like what you smoke! :puffy:
I worded my post carelessly. I hope folks didn't take offense, that wasn't my intention at all. On the contrary, I started this thread because I was looking for help finding an aromatic that might be suitable for me, no to throw mud.
Dan Tobacco's Blue Note is, in my opinion, a great example of a European style aromatic. The tobacco flavor is in the forefront and is nicely balanced, supported and complimented by the added flavorings. It also smokes easily and doesn't demand a lot of attention to provide an enjoyable smoke.

Ren
That sound right up my alley. Thanks for the suggestion! And thanks to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.