Aromatics in your rotation? With a dedicated pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Hi forum members,
I noticed PM has most members smoking VA/VAPer or Latakia/English/Balkan, but not much aromatics. I was quite keen to try aromatics in my first few years of pipe smoking, and was greatly disappointed despite I was not a cigarette smoker to start with because most aromatics are just "not as advertised" by their tin notes. However, now I live in Germany, and when I notice is that many pipe smokers in continental Europe and in Scandinavia smoke mostly aromatics, regardless of their age or history in pipe.

I would love to add some nice aromatics (burns well, no tongue bite, with consistency to the tin note, with enough complexity so it is not too boring) to my collection to smoke occasionally, but my experience on high quality aromatics is limited, i.e. haven't found any.
Do you smoke any aromatics in your regular tobacco rotation?

If yes, what are they? And why do you smoke (start to smoke) that blend?
Any recommendation is welcome, in particular those I can buy in Europe.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I do smoke a aromatic everyday. Just one bowl per day.

I used smoke Lane 1Q but after found Trout Stream changed to smoke it.

It has more flavor and sweet tobacco.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I smoke mostly "English" but, I can be pretty indiscriminate at times. I do not dedicate bowls to blends. I select the pipe, then the blend, load up and enjoy. I select the blend for my work day in the morning. In the evening, t home, I have a selection of blends to choose from. I sometimes go with the first I come to, other times, I'm a bit more selective.
I try and keep the stress out of the pipe and simply enjoy. Others enjoy putting a lot of thought into their smoking experiences. Me? I'm a simple man when it comes to the pipe.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
If you read only on this Forum, or others similar to it, you might think very few 'experienced/sophisticated" smokers actually smoke aromatics.

In the general pipe-smoking universe, however, aromatics are more widely embraced. Lane's 1-Q is very popular. Similar and perhaps more widely available might be Captain Black (considered a cheaper, "wetter," version). Lane also sells RLP6 and LL7 (someone will correct me on those specific blend names, for certain).

In Germany, Samuel Gawith's Top Black Cherry, a well-regarded cherry blend, may be more readily available.

In any case, don't dismiss aromatics simply because some smokers may try to tell you those with more "advanced"

smokers, or those with "sophisticated" palettes and tastes simply don't smoke aromatics on a regular basis!

Try a few and decide for yourself! And Good Luck!

P.S. and yes, if you can: put your hands on a corn cob pipe, or a so-called cheaper "basket pipe," do so.... avoid

the chance you'll taint or ghost the pipe you use for Latakia tobacco blends

Jan 8, 2013
Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream is one of my favorites, topped with cognac. A delightful smoke. I say smoke what you like. I think having multiple different styles of blends suits me just fine. I may feel like smoking a balkan, but later a virginia or aromatic. Nothing wrong with a bit of diversity. :)

Jun 4, 2014
Not a big aromatic smoker, but many moons ago I did enjoy MacBaren's Plumcake. The only aromatic blend I keep on hand is Boswell's Bear Blend, but thinking about it I may have to throw a tin of Plumcake in my next order.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
My go to Aromatic smoke is Scotty's Butternut Burley. I am mostly an English/Nonaromatic smoker but this particular blend is a favorite.
…and was greatly disappointed…because most aromatics are just "not as advertised" by their tin notes

I was of the same opinion until this blend "taught" me how to smoke an aromatic. I don't think that it was anything special about this blend that brought about the insight it was just that I LOVED the tin note and bought a lot of it. Having a bunch to smoke, I kept with it and honed in the correct smoking style (mainly burn temperature and exhaling through my nose) and got to the point that I got the tin note via the burn. It opened up aromatics to me in a whole new way. I only share this because I was overjoyed that I got away from the hot vapor mess that was my experience and transcended into a truly great smoking experience. English is great but its close sister is a good time too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think of myself as mostly a nonaromatic smoker, but I've always had aromatics in or around my rotation

as a change of pace, if their flavor is tobacco forward. A few I have enjoyed lately include Newminster

Cherry #3, Lane's LL-7, Altadis Queen Anne's Revenge, and Peterson Special 2013 Reserve. From my

perspective, neither most aromatics nor Latakia pose any particular ghosting problem, maybe a slight residue

at the beginning of a bowl, but for me, it adds a little interest and does not detract. I would only worry about

ghosting with the Lakelands and a few others with unusual flavoring. As mentioned in the post, aromatics

have an edge in the market and keep blenders in business and make the variety of non-aromatics available.

Just for comparison, some of my favorite non-aromatics are MM 965, Tabac Manil Semois, various C&D

burley blends including Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, Pegasus, Dark Burley, and PS Luxury Navy Flake, Orliks

Golden Sliced, GLP Triple Play, and Nat Sherman 536, among many others.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I enjoy aromatics on a regular basis but don't dedicate pipes to them.

If I were to recommend aromatics that should be readily available in Europe, I would recommend Dan Tobacco Milonga and Sweet Vanilla Honeydew, plus MacBaren Vanilla Cream

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I cannot speak to its availability on the Continent, but McClelland Walnut Liqueur is my favorite aromatic. What you smell in the jar is an honest representation of what you will taste/smell in the smoke. Walnut Liqueur is also a very well-behaved burner.
I only smoke aromatics in cobs and Dr. Grabow pipes.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I don't know if you can get any of these in europe but if you can these are what I smoke and like. My new morning smoke is Capt black dark which only see's one or two meerschaums.I will also smoke creme brulee or sutlif molto dolce in a general MM and Three different briars,these are my my lawn mowing pipe smokes. Have 3 briars for mac barens navy flake.One churchwarden for boswell pennsylvania dutch treat.One small full bent tom thumb for capt black white.1 full bent french briar for boswell raspberry cream.1 meerschaum for sutliff barbados plantation. 1 10 inch long pipe I made that smokes cornel & diehle cherry bon bon. Bob's chocolate flake in a oom paul.One small rope cheery wood for boswell's christmas cookie. This should give you a good array of tobacco for you to try.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Pretty sure 4noggins.com ships internationally.
I'm trying to venture out of aromatics and give other blending styles a go. Right now I'm working on VaPers. For the most part right now though aromatics are just about all I smoke. I agree with ignoring the whole, "graduated from aromatics" thing. Like what ya smoke and smoke what ya like.
I'd suggest:
Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake: The taste is much like the smell, a nice creamy vanilla, it has a wonderful room note, and the tobacco flavors come through nicely.
Lane's 1Q: It's just a nice light vanilla flavored Cavendish blend that doesn't burn the tongue. The room note is incredible and the flavor transfers well into the smoke.
As far as dedicated pipes I will say that since I'm venturing into VaPers I have alcohol cleaned a few and only smoke the VaPers in those.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I have one dedicated "Sampling Pipe" that is what I use when sampling anything, both aros and not. If I go to a special event it's the pipe I bring.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Nine times out of ten, when I want an aromatic I reach for Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake, or Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake.

They're nice aros, with a solid "real" tobacco foundation.

As I set in the B&M lounge and watch people come and go, almost everyone who comes in looking to start smoking want to peruse the aromatics in the bulk jars. It's what they have pictured in their mind as what being a pipe smoker is. I think most of us started that way. But, they enjoy it, and even long time experienced pipe men will stick to their aros. There is this one guy who is a construction worker, always has scars and broken noses from bar fights, tough guy, but he loves that darn blueberry Stokkebye stuff that makes him smell like a smurf, ha ha.
They have a wall of tins, but to get him to order more tins of newer blends, I have to help convince the customers to help me buy up the non-aros in the tins. Most pipe smokers, even experienced ones don't have a single inclination to try something that will make them stink. It's just what they like. So be it, I guess. But, it is rare for someone to come in and buy a non-aro. And, I usually know the ones who do, ha ha, someone with something to actually talk about, haha.
Maybe us non-aro smokers come to it from cigarettes or cigars? Or, we just have a finer palate for the nuances of the natural tobacco tastes.
As for German history and aromatics. The Germanic countries were always the best at making a tooty fruity aromatic. Maybe it goes along with their expertise on making excellent pastries?
Me, I smoke one aro a day in the morning, and I have three pipes dedicated to the genre of aros. Not the goopy ones though. I prefer a lightly cased aro, and if it is flake form, all the better. Vanilla Cream Flake is my favorite. Goes well with a cup of coffee at breakfast.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I have a lot of Boswell aro blends in my cellar. When I first started smoking, I bought a lot of Piper's Pleasure and No Bite Delight. I have a few pounds of each. I'm also a fan of Molto Dolche. My early pipes have now been set aside for aromatics only due to my heavy smoking of them in my first year. Most of my new pipes are getting reserved for English and Virginia blends. I don't smoke the aromatics too much these days as PS LBF has become my new everyday smoke. May a bowl a month I'll smoke an aromatic, especially around nonsmokers. They tend to be less annoying when the smell is vanilla or caramel instead of just tobacco.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Smoke what you like and like what you smoke is rule number one for pipes and cigars. But don't be surprised if your tastes change.
I believe that aromatics out-sell any other style of tobacco. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if aros outsold English, Vapers, and VaBurs combined.
Like many here, I started smoking pouch aromatics when I was young. After a few years, I started smoking store brand bulk blends, first aros, then those that featured Latakias and Perique. I smoked each style almost exclusively, sometimes for years, before tiring of them and moving on to other styles.
Only in the last year or did I start smoking tins and bulk blends from major distributors.I didn't smoke aromatics for over 30 years, mostly because when someone said aro, I thought of Paladin Black Cherry or similar. It was my loss.
Thanks to the brothers here at Pipes Magazine, I tested my predjudices, first with Captain Black Seven Seas and IQ. I won't lie. They were pleasant, in a carrots with humus kind of way. I'll eat them but I will not often pay for them. For me, there was no there, there. I will smoke them but won't buy them again.
But the brothers are persistent in plugging there favorites. This led me to try SG Bob's Chocolate Flake. I would never have ordered anything with Chocolate in its name on my own. One of the values of this forum is that your horizon will be expanded. Bob's is an aromatic with some Latakia and it became and is now one of my ever-changing, top five favored tobaccos.
Also at the urging of members and Jeremy at Smoking Pipes.com, I gave Grassmere and Errindale a try. These are both Lakelands and I have to tell you, I found the first bowl or two disgusting. It was like smoking potpourri.
But brother taught me to be patient with new tobaccos, not judging them too harshly, too soon. I was coached and encouraged to give the Lakelands some time. I was doubtful but persisted, and to my surprise, I did learn to enjoy them, on their own terms, after smoking several more bowls. They aren't my favorites but I will smoke two or three bowls a week, usually in the evening, as a change of pace, after smoking VaPers or Englishes all day. And I'm happy that the option is available.
Pax

Status
Not open for further replies.