Tags:   

Aromatic vs Room Note

(10 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by cabinfever
  • Latest reply from darwin
  1. cabinfever

cabinfever

Login to Send PM

I have read several pipe tobacco reviews and am confused over the terms "aromatic" and "room note." Are these two terms describing the same tobacco characteristic or are they different?

Is "aromatic" describing the aroma of the fresh tobacco in the pouch or can or is it being used to describe the aroma of the pipe smoke (which I assume is "room note"....right?)

Or, is aromatic being used to describe a blend of pipe tobacco similar to Oriental, English, American, etc? If so, do all aromatic blends have a pleasant room note?

Sorry, but my head is spinning.....

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Aromatic" is describing the blend type itself. And no, not all aromatics have a pleasant room note. Room note is simply the way the burning tobacco smells to people who are (generally) not smoking at the time. The way the tobacco tastes is usually waaaay different than the way it smells.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aromatic tobacco blends have flavorings added other than tobacco -- like rum, vanilla, carmel, etc. Scores of different ones are available, and sometimes they are specified in the blend descriptions, sometimes they are generalized like floral or citrus, and often they are not disclosed. Room note means the fragrance or odor given off in the room by the tobacco. Often aromatics give off a better room note from a bystander's point of view, but a good aromatic blend doesn't categorically give off a good room note, so they are two different things. This is an important distinction, so that's a good question.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@mso489 said it so well, I have nothing to add except +1

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The top two responding to your post explains it best. It's a pleasure having you part of this forum. You will find many good knowledgeable people here!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. tmb152

tmb152

Login to Send PM

Would it be incorrect to say that what distinguishes an aromatic is in the blender's mind the intention that part (or all) of the desired goal of the blend is the emphasis on a pleasant, agreeable aroma given off to others?

With that often comes some sort of non-tobacco flavoring for the smoker to taste/enjoy.

Whereas all tobaccos, aromatic or not, have a room note of some kind.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would be inclined to agree with that statement; what may be "pleasant" to the blender's nose, however...

EDIT: It just occurred to me how much old pipe tobacco advertising focused on how pleasant the smell was to everyone around the smoker. Hmmmm...

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. darwin

darwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"It just occurred to me how much old pipe tobacco advertising focused on how pleasant the smell was to everyone around the smoker."

I'm fairly sure that before the mid-sixties, in a cigarette and cigar smoke soaked world, making a pipe tobacco with a pleasant smell to non-smokers was a a lot lower bar to jump over than in the virulently anti-smoking culture of today.

Viewing with alarm since 1948.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Possibly very true, Darwin. I'm a smoker, and even I don't enjoy the acrid stench of cigarettes and cigars. Then again, look at the stench people got used to in major cities of the mid-1800's!

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. darwin

darwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"...look at the stench people got used to in major cities of the mid-1800's!"

No kidding. At the turn of the last century the electric trolley and the automobile were seen by many as the savior of the big cities which were increasingly buried under vast amounts of horse dung.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ron123, cshubhra, lloydcole, clickklick, smipe, shayde