PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8ldl

Lurker
Aug 15, 2018
Can anyone reccomend some good aromatic blends? I really like captain black royal and I just got a black raspberry blend last night that I like. Thanks!

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I rarely smoke aromatics, but when I do, I gravitate towards the Danish/European counterparts like Orlik, Rattray etc...
Check out Davidoff's Danish Mixture and WO Larsen Vintage Mixture for starters; for something made in the USA, Autumn Evening by C&D can't be beat. All three are readily available.
Not sure if you are a beginning pipe smoker, but I'd steer clear of heavily cased or topped blends. They burn way hotter and wetter than others. YMMV.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Strauss Tobacconist Sleepy Hollow

2nd Breakfast from Country Squire

Dan Tobaccco BLue Note

McBaren Scottish Mixture

Sutliff Vanilla Black Cavendish

Lane 1Q

Boswells Christmas Cookie

Wilke Vermont Maple Cavendish

Wilke Rum Cake

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Three of my of-cited favorites are Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, Edward G. Robinson, and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. The pouch blend Erin Go Braugh with whiskey is good.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Blood Red Moon

Rum Cake

Bagpiper's Dream

Bothy Flake

Autumn Evening

Vanilla Custard
I've considered trying the aromatic sampler from Boswell (http://boswellpipes.com/products/boswell-aromatic-sampler.html). They're reported to make good aro's.

64alex

May 10, 2016
You should at least try some of the Lakelands from the SG/GH. I warn you it is a love or hate relation but you should at least try. The quality of the tobacco is top notch and the casing is intended to complement the tobacco not to override it. The probably quintessence of Lakeland is Ennerdale but you might want to try first GH Bob's Chocolate Flake which is really more of a crossover to aromatic. If then you like them you might want to dig deep in the aromatic plugs such as SG Groosemoor, Cannon or RB or the ones from GH.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I’m just getting started with the Lakeland blends, but so far, so good. St Bruno’s Flake is very good. Bob’s Chocolate Flake is wonderful. And I really like Rich Dark Honeydew.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Capt Black Dark was the first tobacco I tried and since then I've tried over a dozen other aro's and I never found anything I liked as much as Capt Black Dark. Although now, I smoke straight VA's and some English.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Not much of an aro smoker, but I don't knock it at all. I bit on a tub of SWRA after a few years of enjoying the 'regular' Sir Walter Raleigh, and at first whiff, I was 'put off'. The power of this aroma has diminished over time, and I've grown more accustomed to it as well, and this burley w/ VA blend is thoroughly enjoyable.

I am seriously considering a tub of Mixture 79 as my next deviation.

Reactions: f4phantomdriver
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would definitely not recommend Ennerdale as a foray into Lakeland blends. It's far too strong. When I tried it I was strictly smoking aromatics and I couldn't even make it through half a bowl of Ennerdale. It was just overwhelming with the terrible old lady perfume and soap flavors. I felt like my mother had just heard me swear and shoved a bar of Irish Spring soap in my mouth. Not to mention the fact that less than half a bowl of it ghosted my pipe really bad.
As for what I would recommend:
Lane Limited: 1Q, RLP6, BCA, Very Cherry
C&D: Autumn Evening, Monster Mixture
Peterson: Connoisseur's Choice, Nutty Cut
Country Squire (a tobacco shop): Lancaster, White Rose, Figgy Pudding
Straus (a tobacco shop): Sleepy Hollow, Wenceslas
Cult: Blood Red Moon
Planta: Anno MMX (After Dinner)
Sutliff: Z50 Black Cordial, Christmas Spice, Pumpkin Spice
If you're looking for an aromatic that would be good to get you into Virginias then give Pete Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake or GL Pease's Virginia Cream.
I will say, from my personal experience aromatics were good to learn a cadence. Once you get a good cadence down and don't get tongue bite then try out some Virginia, VaPers, English, Balkan blends that aren't cased/topped. After that then come back to the aromatics and it'll be a completely different experience. You'll pull out the leaf flavors better and it'll make for more interesting smokes.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
St. Bruno Flake

Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic

"Buddies" from Dan Tobacco (if you're hankering for an orange flavor)

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Just came in to second the Boswell recommendations generally, and add one more: Boswell Cupcake. It's a delicious aromatic in the same general profile as Christmas Cookie, but creamier.
Also, although it's probably somewhere between aromatic and English (like Frog Morton Cellar, R.I.P.), Boswell Northwoods. It has a bit of a pine-like flavor / scent that reminds me of... well, camping trips to the Northwoods, and also of Christmas (Christmas trees).
Also seconding Straus Tobacconist's Sleepy Hollow (if they are still making it) as a great Fall aromatic. It's a pumpkin spice latte for your pipe.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
KC:
There are many wonderful blends that were already listed and recommended, but my humble suggestion refers back to your original posting where you say you enjoyed smoking "Captain Black".
Lane Ltd. RPL-6 (bulk) is reputed to be "Captain Black"-original. It's a very nice mixture....but I smoke and recommend Lane Ltd. "HGL" ....which is really nothing more than Captain Black/RLP-6 with the addition of a small amount of Latakia leaf. This exotic leaf gives the blend far more complexity, flavor and interest, some additional piney/smokey aroma, and a little more balls...but all in a good way. Definitely not strong, but oh, that aroma!...well, everyone loves it when they sniff it. You'll surely be asked by smellers..."what's the name of that tobacco blend you're smoking?".
It's easy to smoke, stays lit, always consistent, it's always available from many sources, and very economical to buy. Just my $0.02
Frank

NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.