PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsjim

Lurker
Jan 27, 2011
It seems to me that opinions vary depending what side of the pond you come from as to what constitutes an aromatic.
Growing up here in the UK, an aromatic to my mind is a tobacco that has a fragrant or sweet-smell room note. Many pipe tobaccos use the fact they are aromatic ( i.e. pleasant room note ) as their main selling point.
Yet I've seen many pipe smokers refer to certain pipe tobaccos as aromatics that do not meet this criteria. ( Erinmore Flake / University Flake / to name but a few )
Can someone please enlighten me ?
Regards,

Jim

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Under the assumption that each one of us may have a slightly different opinion of where the line is drawn between the two, and not knowing where to draw that line myself,…..I often resort to looking at either the blender's notes or smoker's reviews for the word "Aromatic".

I’ve always been told that any blend of tobacco that has had something other than a tobacco added to enhance the flavor/room-note, it’s classified as an “Aromatic”.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'll second Tommy's definition of an aromatic:
  • "...any blend of tobacco that has had something other than a tobacco added to enhance the flavor/room-note..."

By this criterion even the addition of deertongue or a liqueur topping transforms a natural blend into an aromatic. In the UK the Lakeland / Cumbrian style's addition of rose-geranium, heliotrope, and other scents certainly qualify as aromatics, IMO.

hessenland

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2011
Moscow, ID
I think of it as an aromatic, when the tobacco leaf has been cased in a flavor enhancing substance, not by a natural process such as fermentation or smoke.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Jim,
The only downside to your theory about the necessity of a pleasant room note is that it's such a variable factor; what smells good to you may differ sharply from what smells good to me, and in the case of an old blend like Erinmore Flake it may even be the result of a generational difference in perception. (Lakelands are also fairly old-fashioned and may bring unpleasant associations of soap and perfume to newer smokers used to sweet casings) A pleasant room note is more like one side of the coin; it is definitely easier to tell which blends aren't aromatics, though! In line with what the others have said, I think the addition of a generous topping to play a leading role in flavour and aroma is the defining characteristic of an aromatic tobacco.

scotsjim

Lurker
Jan 27, 2011
Thanks for the reply guys :)
I've just never associated the word aromatic with any else except aroma. The idea of applying it to a flavor enhancing substance, whatever that may be, added to a tobacco never occurred to me.
Regards,

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.