PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I know these aren't for everyone, (so please don't regale me with how much you hate them) but I really like my English/Aro cross-over blends, and I'm always looking for more. So far, I've discovered:
JFH: Shortcut to Mushrooms
Boswell's: Bear Blend
Sillem's: Black (Hear it's interesting, not yet tried it)
Anything else out there? The gold standard for me used to be a blend called "Midnight Vigil" from the now defunct piperoom.com - anyone else out there remember that one? I've been chasing that sweet, smokey taste ever since....Any leads are greatly appreciated!

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I would put Frog Morton's Cellar in that list and at the top
I've never tried that one. Does it have a distinct aromatic quality? I've heard regular Frog Morton described as a cross-over blend, but I don't get that at all - it tastes like a light English with a little bit of cavendish to me. Is the aromatic quality in Frog Morton's Cellar more pronounced?

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Iwan Ries has long sold Dr. Bradley. A scented English created for the cleric to give a nice room note. I've smoked it. Its an interesting blend and worth the try.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
This was a recent post about a blend I had never heard of, tahkashan or something * someone please help with the name* that was compared to frog Morton on the town.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
I tried a tin of cross eyed cricket and it's an Aro with latakia. It seems confused what it wants to be.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Wow! I'm surprised at the number of responses already! Thank-you for all the prompt replies! Regarding your suggestions:
Despite smoking quite a bit of Lane product in my time (1Q and BCA primarily), I've never tried HGL, and didn't realize there was Latakia in the blend. I'll try that one for sure.
I've been meaning to explore more Lakeland offerings - I can't get past the floral essence in many of them, but perhaps its time to re-visit that genre.
I've smoked FMOTT - it's good, but not quite aromatic enough for me - like the original Frog, it seemed more like a light, slightly sweet English blend. I'm looking for a slightly more aromatic quality.
This is good stuff - keep 'em coming! I'm quickly building up my Christmas list here...

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
I have a tin of Crosseyed Cricket open and really enjoy, some people don't. It has a strong rum-punch note that smells great to me.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Hmmm yet another I've never tried. Crosseyed Cricket now on the list!

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Cross Eyed Cricket is a love or hate. It's been my go to crossover for years. Actually the fist bowl of tobacco I ever smoked was Cricket so it's always had a special place in my heart.
Two Friends Chocolate English is very nice as well. It's more of a true english with hints of cocoa that are subtle yet very enjoyable. Doesn't have that driving force of an aro quality that Cricket has. C&D actually has a list of crossover blends in their bulk selections that worth checking out.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Uhle's Raider Blend is a tasty aromatic with a bit of Latakia in the blend. I'm not a big fan of either cherry blends and not especially keen on Latakia in general but Raider Blend just hit the spot for me.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
This was a recent post about a blend I had never heard of, tahkashan or something * someone please help with the name* that was compared to frog Morton on the town.
You are referring to Tashkent by Peretti. Tashkent is Latakia and Turkish. Frog Morton on the Town is Virginia, Latakia and Turkish. I think the Tashkent is a bit richer and more exotic, but FMOOT is also quite good. But I must admit I have only had one test bowl of each.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I've also become a fan of the English aromatic over the past couple of months.

What you're after is Two Friends English Chocolate, and Pipeworks & Wilke No. 5 and No. 13

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Altadis has a bunch of them that you might want to explore - Tartans and Bagpipes, Burma Road, and African Queen all come to mind. Alas, every crossover that I enjoy when I first try it never holds up for me over the long haul. I have tried a bunch of them,and the same thing happens every time. :(

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Thank-you to everyone for the great suggestions! First on the list for me is Frog Morton's Cellar, followed by Cross-Eyed Cricket, HGL and Two Friends.
Alas, every crossover that I enjoy when I first try it never holds up for me over the long haul. I have tried a bunch of them,and the same thing happens every time. :(
I agree - JFH's Shortcut to Mushrooms was that way for me. I'm still looking for that essence I loved in my first and favorite cross-over(the now defunct piperoom.com's "Midnight Vigil") but, a lot of blends from my early pipe-smoking days are a lot better in memory than reality. That being said, I enjoy the hunt almost as much as the smoke! :puffy:

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I need to try Shortcut to Mushrooms I've heard it's quite good.
For me I find it really hard to find a tobacco that tops Cellar for me. If I had to smoke just one blend for the rest of my life that would be it. If I had to smoke 3 blends for the rest of my life the others would be Black House and Magnum Opus from Hearth & Home.

Status
Not open for further replies.