PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
I've been in the habit of buying vintage Missouri Meerschaums lately off of eBay...
Recently I purchased this guy:

xILD4lN.jpg

I like the unfinished cobs, and this one was unsmoked. But while several things look legit, the MM symbol on stem and bottom, the glue job in to the cob looks pretty janky. It also came with a charcoal filter, which I've never seen in a cob.
Anyone ever seen one of these? Are they legit MM's from some era I've never seen before (like I thought), or are they some cheap knockoff?
I'll be smoking it either way... but I'm pretty curious.
(more pics here: http://imgur.com/a/e6NWA )

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Could have been a second. I know MM used to sell off grab bags of their seconds for pretty cheap.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'd send the pics to MM just to see what their response would be.
It could have arrived at a retailer in two pieces and suffered a poor repair. Possibly separated before first smoke and the owner tried his hand at a repair. There's a myriad of reasons for the ghastly look. Unless smoke hole is jammed up with wood glue, it should be an acceptable smoker. Does it pass a cleaner?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not authority on MM cobs, especially from the past, but my dad used to get them and smoke them, and

I've bought four or five over past years, and I've never seen the cob shank quite like that offered on an MM cob,

and while they are sometimes liberal with the glue, this looks like a repair job. Like you, I'd be suspicious,

but I can conclude anything either.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I had several vintage MM cobs that featured that style stem, with a plastic bit, and brass ring. They are a series of pipes called "Custom Grade" and were one of MMs upper class lines. However, since the stem appears varnished and the bowl is naked, I would lean more towards a custom home made pipe.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Looking at your additional photos, the pipe looks more legit. The hard wood plug and MM stamp on the bottom match your other pipes shown in the photos, and match my two vintage pipes of this style too.I still think the varnished stem attached to a naked bowl looks a little strange though.

Status
Not open for further replies.