PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I've been wondering for a while now if some stems are intentionally canted to the left or right to accommodate the particular pipe owner's preference when clenching. Example A would be Trendo's pipe which would tilt it to the left when held level in the mouth...Found Here:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/help-id-and-is-this-pipe-worth-fixing
One thing I have learned in the past year, is to never underestimate the peculiarities and proclivities of pipe smokers. You are a strange lot, and I am proud to be counted among your numbers. So, is this a thing?

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Dot- I agree. I have examples where stems underclock slightly and it seems it would be an easy fix at the factory. Overclocking I know could be from years of use, as I only get estates. Similarly, in the heyday when many thousands of pipes were being produced daily, I could see them saying, "close enough" and sending them on their way.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
left-handed pipes, is that a euphemism for drugs?
It is now. You trendsetter you. :wink:
Ashdigger- Good to know, and yes they are Kaywoodies I have which are underclocked. Hit the nail on the head.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I got a Meer from Turkey as a gift and the bowl is misshaped. At first glance the pipe looks awesome but upon closer inspection it is clearly a deformed shape due to poor craftsmanship. Fortunately it smokes like a charm and I can live with its deformed shape. Besides only a trained eye would even notice.
I feel the same about the pipe that inspired this thread. It's close enough, now for the smoke test.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
One of my two Stanwell 32 bulldogs has the shank, and consequently, the stem, clocked about ten or fifteen degrees off CCW. Since I clench on the left side of my mouth, the bowl sits straight up and down when it's clenched. So far, it is my only left-handed pipe.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Since I clench on the left side of my mouth, the bowl sits straight up and down when it's clenched
Aldecaker - That's what I'm talking about. Aside from threaded stems beings over and underclocked, Trendo's example has the stem bit canted and seemingly would achieve the same effect. I can't think of how this could accidentally happen to a bit. I've seen other examples on Ebay, though I don't have a pic ready for reference.
It "seems" like a picky pipe puffer would prefer a perfectly level plane to light and preserve his/her pyre.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was a born right-hander and have only strayed when I broke my right wrist in junior high school (middle school). But I am smoking left handed as I often do when operating a computer, or whatever. So it seems a wrong-headed idea to set up a pipe for right or left-handed use. You switch sides of your mouth and hands to accommodate what you're doing with your hands, and if one side of your mouth is more moist and taste receptive than the other. Pipe smoking is not a unilateral activity. So if there are right or left-handed pipes, there shouldn't be. It's a misguided idea, with the exception of pipes for people who have lost, or lost use of, one hand or the other, in which case I will leave it to others to explain how a pipe might be usefully modified.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Sorry, I'm not being clear. It not that they would be right or left handed, but, err, lipped or mouthed. Now I just feel silly. :P
the bowl points down
@Pagan - That's so it can be smoked in the rain. :rofl:

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I require all my pipes, fire-arms, musical instruments, women, well - ok, no women... Her Majesty would be displeased, breakfast utensils, tools, etc. to be rigorously AMBIDEXTROUS, and in this case, ambilipterous, to gain admission into my kingdom. I list to port and default to starboard... at least when in level flight... in inverted flight, it doesn't matter. I had one freehand pipe that did not conform... he was taken out and shot at dawn with EMP and has since been fine.
Who's silly???? No one here whatsover!

:lol:

jerry

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I've not found a left hand specific pipe yet though I have found many that are obviously designed to fit best in to a right hand. If you stumble across one do let me know. I notice that I now smoke primarily with my right hand, a concession I've also made with playing guitar, firing a rifle and switching to my right eye when using a view finder.

noquarter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 18, 2015
I'm right handed,clenches on the left side of my mouth,holds the pipe with my left,lights and tamp with my right except when I'm tamping with my left index finger.

I don't think there is such a need for a lefty/righty pipe due to our differing habits.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I consider a minimum requirement for a good quality pipe is to be symmetric.
I have a very good gourd calabash that is not symmetrical at all. The gourd has a curve to it. Actually pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.