PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
One of the first pipe tobaccos I smoked was Gawith Hoggarth's Scotch Mixture, listed as an English on SP. I knew there was a difference in the smell, but had no idea why. I thought it was very pleasant, almost a sweet earl grey scent (but not quite the same). It certainly wasn't "soap & perfume" like I've been reading about Lakeland blends. However, I saw it listed as a Lakeland recently. SP's description only states that it has a "special Virginia casing", and TobaccoReviews shows their are no flavorings.
Another of my first smokes was Squadron Leader, and I saw this also listed as a Lakeland, with some folks saying they got the "soap" aroma upon opening the tin. I didn't get that at all. To me, SL doesn't smell too different from all the other English blends I now have (except for SM, which is definitely unique).
If I'm understanding aro vs non-aro, casing is not the same as a flavoring, correct?
So what's going on here? Are these Lakeland blends or not?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
It is rumored that everything proceeding from the Kendal factory has at least a passive Lakeland influence.
jay-roger.jpg

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
I don't know. Apparently they've used some of the same 200 year old machinery since they've opened - the theory I've heard being that these machines have been 'ghosted' if you will by the Lakeland essence. I don't really taste it in their unflavored offerings in much a way. But are they Lakeland blends? Maybe. Lakeland is an area where the houses are from. For instance, SG Lakeland Dark is a Lakeland blend (?) but it doesn't have that flavoring everybody seems to hate - this is probably the case with the blends you mentioned.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
They may be technically considered Lakeland because of their origin. I do get a slight bit of that taste from quite a few of their blends (love Coniston cut plug). But I don't personally think of it as Lakeland until it has that intense floral character like Ennerdale or Grasmere Flake. A lot of their blends I get zero Lakeland scent (like Kendal Kentucky or Dark Birds Eye).

Status
Not open for further replies.