Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Looking to acquire my first Kaywoodie, I would like to increase my chances of landing a good one. Is a 2 digit coded Kaywoodie with 3 or 4 hole stinger always going to be inferior to an early 4 Digit pipe? How do you know which pipe(s) to avoid from an age/model number pov? If at all? I know on any given day, a pipe might be a great smoker while others of the same type suck. But there has to be good criteria to lead in the best direction. Yes?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Looking to acquire my first Kaywoodie, I would like to increase my chances of landing a good one. Is a 2 digit coded Kaywoodie with 3 or 4 hole stinger always going to be inferior to an early 4 Digit pipe? How do you know which pipe(s) to avoid from an age/model number pov? If at all? I know on any given day, a pipe might be a great smoker while others of the same type suck. But there has to be good criteria to lead in the best direction. Yes?
The 4 digit Kaywoodies aren't necessarily better than the two digit Kaywoodies. When Kaywoodie introduced the flame grain in the late 1930's they also switched to the 2 digit numbers and those flame grains were considered to be a high grade pipe. So the number of digits has nothing to do with the quality of the pipes. I think they went down in quality after they were reduced to a "drugstore" pipe, but they have certainly rebounded.
This Pipedia article on Kaywoodie may be of interest:
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Kaywoodie

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
You want a Kaywoodie produced just before and some during WWII. Skip to very modern times and the new Kaywoodie production is outstanding.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I've got a 4 digit supergrain that has awful grain and noticeable fills. That pipe is inferior cosmetically to two 2 digit flame grains of the same shape. All three smoke the same.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
My grandfather only smoked Kaywoodies. 90% of the time, it was loaded with SWR... He smoke this way for 4 decades.
My dad told me that he once bought him an expensive Danish pipe in the early 1970's. He put it on his bookshelf as a decoration.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
To my experience, the three digit stuff is worth avoiding. The two digit pipes can be wonderful pipes. I have several in my collection. I used to leave the stinger on my Kaywoodies but, I've come to whacking them off and expanding the draft in the stems. I'm much happier with them.
Mike S.

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
I cant speak for 3 digits. I have various kaywoodies. 4 digit, large and small 4 holes. 2 digit 3 and 4 hole stingers. Honestly out of my collection. I have a 2 digit with 3 hole stinger that is a second to none smoker. I have 4 digits that are dogs. I dont think there is a hard fast rule. In my humble opinion.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
As sable pointed out, the line of pipe has more to do than the age. Yes, there are some phenomenal 4 digits, and I have a few, but two digit Kaywoodies run a good chance of being great pipes. Flame grain is almost a guaranteed hit, but many lines are awesome. I honestly smoke almost exclusively Kaywoodie and artisan pipes. If you want a guaranteed good Kaywoodie, buy a brand new push stem Kaywoodie, which is all but the Campus line. VW Smoke Shop has a large shipment of new Kaywoodie pipes about to hit the web store.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two points: At one time in the 1940's and 50's, Kaywoodie was the deluxe pipe and cost more than Dunhill, when both were affordable for the average working person. Second, I have one of the more recently produced Drinkless series, which falls in the "bad" Kaywoodie category, but I am always impressed with the quality smoking characteristics it exhibits, stinger and all, once I got the bit cocked around in the corrected position using a hair dryer, as instructed by a Forums member.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Counter point, for a few years now even the Drinkless has no stinger. All but the campus line are push stems now, and the quality grows every year. These are no longer the "drug store" or "bad" pipes. There is a new era of Kaywoodie, and it is looking like a great future.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Not yet. They will have many Super Grains, some of a new line called Unique (I just picked up one of these with a natural blast at a Kaywoodie event, great pipe), and possibly a new line I believe called Gemini. When you see any of those pop up, the new pipes have arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.