Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Torch types will quickly burn the Briar

Posted 10 months ago #
  3. darwin

darwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been using a torch flame lighter with a LePeltier ceramic pipe for breezy outdoor smoking. Works great. Light a folded flake and the breeze will help keep it lit.

Viewing with alarm since 1948.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  4. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you are just starting out, a torch is a good way to burn the rim of your pipe.

Posted 10 months ago #
  5. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Nope, they are fantastic for their intended purpose - to light a cigar. They can take that kind of abuse and give you a great smoke. Used with a pipe, you're inviting tongue burn and damaging the pipe rim, neither is necessary.

Al

Posted 10 months ago #
  6. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of the torches, even turned all the way down reach temperatures close to 2000 degrees, this will instantly scorch your new pipe and the tobacco. The idea is to gently coax the tobacco to an ember for the best taste.

Posted 10 months ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe you could learn to light a pipe with any flame, but I'd use the softest flame available, which is usually matches. Hold the match over the tobacco and draw the flame into the tobacco by drawing on the pipe.

Posted 10 months ago #
  8. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For a pipe and the tobacco inside of it, yes. Way too hot.

Posted 10 months ago #
  9. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not recommended for beginners. They can be useful in a wind, though. Have to be extra careful.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  10. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Considering I scorched the bejesus out of a cob one time with my zippo, the flames that erupt from one of those jet lighters could have set the whole cob on fire. I did actually try one with a cob, just for the sake of science. I had one of my old cobs and found a jet lighter left by someone out on our outside tables by the smoking area. I didn't even give it much thought at the time, but I lit that sucker up and it definitely put a burn on the side of my pipe. I really wasn't expecting it to shoot out that far. Those things definitely shouldn't be used to light a pipe you care about, little on the tobacco in a pipe you DON'T care about. I just see it vaporizing your tobacco and making it taste very unpleasant.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 10 months ago #
  11. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

If you burn out a briar using a torch, the manufacturer won't replace the pipe. It's very easy for a trained eye to determine whether it was caused by a flaw in the wood or a torch flame lighter.

Russ

Posted 10 months ago #
  12. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's what it looks like. I warned the owner of this pipe not use torch lighters. That pipe is less than a year old. Quite a mess.

The pipe is an instrument of civilization.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  13. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, tuold. I did not realize that this actually is done. You would think that there were some obvious red flags to stop before it got to that point.

Posted 10 months ago #
  14. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ouch!

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 10 months ago #
  15. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

God, what a mess.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  16. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tuold! A picture tells a thousand words huh! Wow that's crazy

Posted 10 months ago #
  17. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame. Use a soft flame.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 10 months ago #
  18. daniel7

daniel7

Login to Send PM

Wow, this looks bad. But how couldn't he see that the rim is burning like hell? Colour, deformation, come on! A person like him should use only meerschaum or clay pipes.

Posted 10 months ago #
  19. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

sable, your post is really confusing.

Javan
    Posted 10 months ago #
  20. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So you are saying to use a soft flame Jesse?

Posted 10 months ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The best thing about a jet torch is you can smoke anything, even sopping wet fresh out of the tin, which greatly enhances the flavor of Aromatics.
    Sure, you might scorch the rim if you’re not careful, so don’t smoke an expensive pipe with a torch, there’s plenty of cheaper options.

I will add that a soft flame that can be directed into the bowl might do just as well, but I haven’t got around to trying one of those yet. And I haven’t actually found a torch lighter I’m really happy with either (the cold climate definitely makes butane less effective).

Posted 10 months ago #
  22. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get the feeling that Sable is trying to tell us something...

I will add that a soft flame that can be directed into the bowl might do just as well

You do not have to direct the flame into the bowl. You have just hover it about half an inch above the bowl, even on a bowl that is over 2" deep. I do it all the time, and I don't have to huff and puff, just casually draw in as you normally would. Try it.

Michael
    Posted 10 months ago #
  23. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some were hysterically enthused on learning the Frank method when it rolled out in the mid-2000s, which requires a torch. I'm sure some use it but for most it is a blip of pipe history. At any rate this is the only time that I remember a torch being recommended about a briar. I never used it as even if the pack was superior, I would have had to be so careful not to scorch the wood.

Posted 10 months ago #
  24. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

I've tried the Frank method, but I never used a torch. Briar burns around 1300 degrees F, and torch flames start out around 1700. I refuse to use a torch on a pipe.

Russ

Posted 10 months ago #
  25. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dauoV95rCUY
    one of the best youtube pipe community (ytpc) vids evah

Posted 10 months ago #
  26. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

I was in Puerto Rico this week- wind blowing 15-20 on the beach. I have a dual flame lighter and couldn't get the soft flame to light. The torch saved it- it takes some technique to get it right....

Posted 10 months ago #
  27. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'm not surprised to hear that the Frank method suggests a torch. The guy doesn't even bother to dry his tobacco before packing, so I already know that he doesn't know what he's doing.

If you're into cremating the rim and chamber walls of your pipes, as well as tasting cremated tobacco, rock on.

Posted 10 months ago #
  28. samuelgawith01

samuelgawith01

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A long wooden match works well,less chance of burning the rim of the bowl.

Posted 10 months ago #
  29. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any fire can harm briar, and any fire can be used with good results. Torches are to be avoided, unless in winds over about 10 mph, when that may be the only way.

Posted 10 months ago #
  30. snowyowl

snowyowl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the field, I use a Xikar Cirro High Altitude Lighter. This is meant for cigars, Al. A mile or more from the car, I encounter all kinds of weather and winds. I have four nice soft flame lighters in the house, but none work well, daily, outside... away from a building.
    I invert the lighter over the bowl, open it, and lower it. I turn my back to the wind, as even this lighter will not work well facing the wind.
    Here are three of my field nosewarmers. The bowl on the left is my oldest field pipe... eight years, and I have reamed it. The middle pipe has a cat hair added... not on purpose. Two of these have smooth rim wood and no burning to speak of on any of them
    bowls

"If you see something... pipe up."
    Posted 10 months ago #
  31. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Soft flame, of course. But I give the nod to snowy for effective use of the torch when needed, namely outdoors. I have used a torch as well when outside and the wind is blowing and I want my pipe lit. Of course I use smokeable second cobs from MM, so the risk/reward is a much better ratio.

Posted 10 months ago #
  32. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Even though I'm outside a lot, I never use a torch lighter or any other wind-resistant device. To me, if it's too windy to light a match or a Bic, that's God telling me not to smoke that day.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 10 months ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You do not have to direct the flame into the bowl. You have just hover it about half an inch above the bowl, even on a bowl that is over 2" deep. I do it all the time, and I don't have to huff and puff, just casually draw in as you normally would. Try it.

You won’t get anywhere smoking Lakelands like that, especially not fresh from the tin as I’m so fond of (maximum “Floral Kick”).

Posted 10 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, didimauw, elpfeife, 64alex, canucklehead, craig61a, oldtoby, trudger, yuda, gerryp, lightxmyfire