PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Not a rhetorical question, or designed to offend anyone.
I think it would be fair to say that we smoke pipes for the pleasure it gives us. The smell, the taste, the tactile sensations of holding your pipe.
In a slow smoke competition, do the competitors spend so much time in controlling the ember that they don't pay attention to the pleasure of the smoke, or are they skilled enough to do both?
Inquiring minds want to know.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
In theory, yes they would still enjoy the smoke. The slower, the tastier. But me personally, would worry about the ember too much. I'm ok with smoking a little fast.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Such is for the competitors among us. A competitor may not even be smoking a blend they enjoy. It might be a blend they detest in a pipe they'd never consider owning. It's not about enjoying the pipe or blend. It's about beating the others and winning a pipe or some such.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
+1 to what Warren said. I have never entered a slow smoke, for the primary reason that I usually don't like the damn tobacco they are using. I'm just not competitive enough, or interested enough in the prizes to overlook that fact.
More power to those who are.

I've done a few competitions, and I think practicing slowing down to as slow as possible is a great way to learn how best to suck all of the marrow of enjoyment out of pipe smoking. I've never piddled with the ember, nor seen people do this that wins. They just smoke, and stay focused.

And, yes, as Warren said... the one thing that pisss me off is paying my entry fee, getting all ready to go, and a dumbass drop a little baggie of 1Q or some other aromatic on me as the official tobacco of the competition. It's like competing to see who can keep a turd in their mouth the longest. That's when I get up and walk away from the compition. Otherwise, yes, slow smoking is very, very enjoyable, depending on the tobacco used.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Here in Denmark people come most to have a good day out.Looking at pipes and tobaccos and have a chat with

others with a pipe in the mouth.

When I was the treasurer back in the last half of the 90ties there were around 400-500 smokers. Nowadays around 100.

We have found a very fine place to smoke but there is only room for a little over 100.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Yes, not liking the tobacco is a problem but it is nigh impossible to select a tobacco everyone will like. All in all pipe smoking contests are smoking but without the conversation all is lost.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Competitive smoking ...
Naked primates will turn just about anything into a competition ... even smoking! :lol:

For me, conversation is a pipe killer. I am forced to take my pipe out of my mouth and respond. Sure, sure, talking can be fun at pipe club meetings, and occasionally while hanging out at the B&M, but when packed with a quality shared tobacco and the real smoking begins, a B&M lounge can get pretty quiet. But, the cigar guys tend to keep the entertainment going. They like to blow $10+ on sticks and then just blow smoke in the air. Ha ha.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For my one slow smoke deal in Chicago, I entered to see how I'd do, not to try to enjoy some no-name tobacco in a new pipe that I gave away after the show. But I am sure there are some that can. Everyone likes a good loser! :)
In seriousness, the camaraderie was the best part. And I beat the reigning champion! (But full disclosure would state he went out in the first five minutes.) Me, not a lot longer! Might do it again, might not.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Smoking competition is a fun way to add interest to pipe shows and pipe clubs and to give the activities a group and social dimension. I don't think many would confuse a contest with the simple joy of smoking at home or out walking or with a friend or friends, but as a fun group activity with some competitive drama to it, sure it's smoking of one kind. I wouldn't split hairs, over-think, or philosophize too much. If a smoking competition offends your sense of pipe smoking, just step away from the group while that's going on. If I managed to win such a contest, which is profoundly unlikely, and won a nice pipe in the process, I'd be very proud.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I love slow smoking contests and enter them at every show that I go to that has one. Most of the time I am able to consume every shred of tobacco, too. The only problem is that I consume all of my tobacco faster than everyone else. :cry:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Cosmic started me thinking. How about a competition where the smokers have to smoke bowl after bowl of a blend they detest, in a basket pipe which appeals neither to the eye nor the fist. A shrill woman would mingle with the contestants, complaining about the reek. The winner would be the contestant who smoked the most bowls and did not physically assault the shrew. The prize would be... well there wouldn't be a prize as such. The audience would be the only real winners.
Kevin would select the blends for the contestants based on posts in which the contestant disparages certain blends or classes of such. What would be his selection for Cosmic?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I participated in a Long Smoke competition last year for the first time and not knowing any better, loaded my pipe with the tobacco I was given - Red Rapparee - and lit it as instructed by the contest monitor. After that I just settled back and enjoyed the smoke by tending my pipe the way I normally do and by using the same cadence I normally use. Surprisingly enough for a 1st time competitor, I won. If I ever enter another Long Smoke competition I plan to use the same method and just enjoy the smoke.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have been part of the last two or three slow smoke contests at the Chicago Show. I almost broke 30 minutes last time. The judges for this contest are all women from the Saint Charles Chamber of Commerce. Our table was also competing on who could keep the judge laughing the most. It was a ton of fun.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I think it's kind of funny. It really should be called marketing and not competition. To call it smoking would be like calling a pooping a bowl movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.