Are cigarettes tobacco and pipe tobacco the same?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Yes and no. Most cigs use Burley tobacco, which is a strain is also used in some pipe blends. The big difference is in quality. Cigarettes are adulterated with tons of chemicals and waste tobacco that has been reprocessed, rolled into sheets, sprayed with tobacco juice and god know what else then cut up and mixed in with everything else. Cigarettes are full of poisons and artificial garbage that isn't present in quality pipe tobacco. Some OTC pipe tobaccos use propylene glycol and some preservatives but are no where near being adulterated to the level that cigs are. Also, most pipe blends include a variety of tobaccos besides Burley, such as Virginias, Latakia and more.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
:rofl: Are you sure.

The answer to that question, spot on. I would add tobaccos for pipes have great care taking for them and are aged( some of them).

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I smoked cigs for a few years, many years back (more than 20, now).
I, honestly, could not taste the difference between a Marlboro and a Winston. I thought I could, but I really couldn't. I could tell something like Dorals or Kents, versus a name brander. But, there didn't seem to be a huge difference, to my tastes, between name brand "full flavor" smokes.
Can't say the same about pipe tobaccos. Whatever "flavor" you enjoy, or seek, their is likely a pipe tobacco that covers it. From straight tobacco to peppermint candy. You really ought try Mixture 79. Most ex smokers find it wonderful.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
You really ought try Mixture 79. Most ex smokers find it wonderful.
trickyssmile.gif

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I never really took an interest in cigarette tobacco, but I got the impression that there were a few high end brands

that use(d) only premium leaf; and included Virginia, Perique and orientals. They were the sorts of cigarettes that

were only sold in B&M's -- never in vending machines and drugstores, etc. Rattray's and Dunhill come to mind,

but I'm sure there were many more.

muntajab

Lurker
Jul 29, 2010
Lately I've been smoking rolled cigarettes using local tobacco. Local tobacco here comes a very thin ribbons cut. so I thought I can get the whole leaf and cut it myself to suit pipe smoking. what do you think?

muntajab

Lurker
Jul 29, 2010
Because in Syria we don't have bulk stores, and pipe tobacco in general is hard to find all the times of the year. If I get Captain black white for three months for example, the rest of the year I have to look for some other brands because i wont be available anymore. I usually smoke then, Mac Barren (If I am lucky to find it), or Colts American mixture, or backwoods black and Gold.
I feel Insecure about my pipe smoking so I want a permanent solution for this problem.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
@muntajab
Why don't you try online shopping? it is very easy if ypu don't have troubles with customs in Syria. You can try www.pipesandcigars.com, and www.cupojoes.com, the home page of the magazine shows a lot of sponsers.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
There are some tobaccos that are made to be used as either pipe or cigarette tobacco, although they might only be available in the U.S. Both Prince Albert and Carter Hall, for instance, can be used either way. Also, American Spirit and Drum hand-rolling tobacco can be smoked in a pipe as well -- in fact, they're pretty enjoyable that way!

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
If you're asking about the leaves before processing, the answer to your question is absolutely. The base for most cigarette tobacco is Virginia and the two most common other leaf variants are Burley and Oriental. (Again, I'm referring to the leaf types before any processing.)
Not all cigarette tobaccos, particularly roll-you-own, have untold numbers of evil additives. (Full disclosure: I manage the Bugler brand as well as Captain Black). Most of the American Spirit RYO blends, for instance, have nothing but water added to the tobacco.
Lately I've been smoking rolled cigarettes using local tobacco. Local tobacco here comes a very thin ribbons cut. so I thought I can get the whole leaf and cut it myself to suit pipe smoking. what do you think?
It will be a much different smoking experience than smoking a traditional pipe tobacco. The leaves in pipe tobacco have been dried, re-hydrated, cased and topped with a flavoring.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks for the info, Leonard! It's great that you are taking an active role on these forums, giving us the word from "the horse's mouth", as it were.
-Jason

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"The base for most cigarette tobacco is Virginia"
Not burley? This is news to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.