Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Are cigarettes tobacco and pipe tobacco the same?

(25 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by muntajab
  • Latest reply from maineyachtie
  1. muntajab

muntajab

Login to Send PM

Are the leaves of pipe tobacco the same ones used in cigarettes?

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Yes and no. Most cigs use Burley tobacco, which is a strain is also used in some pipe blends. The big difference is in quality. Cigarettes are adulterated with tons of chemicals and waste tobacco that has been reprocessed, rolled into sheets, sprayed with tobacco juice and god know what else then cut up and mixed in with everything else. Cigarettes are full of poisons and artificial garbage that isn't present in quality pipe tobacco. Some OTC pipe tobaccos use propylene glycol and some preservatives but are no where near being adulterated to the level that cigs are. Also, most pipe blends include a variety of tobaccos besides Burley, such as Virginias, Latakia and more.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. tokerpipes

tokerpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Preach it brother Baron.

If you can't pack it, light it, and smoke it then why do it. It's a dieing art that must be rekindled in all of us as fortold by our forefathers.

Words to live by for all pipe smokers.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first reaction to the OP was "God, no!" Baron did a good job explaining why,

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. gwynclan

gwynclan

Login to Send PM

Are you sure.
    The answer to that question, spot on. I would add tobaccos for pipes have great care taking for them and are aged( some of them).

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. portascat

portascat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoked cigs for a few years, many years back (more than 20, now).

I, honestly, could not taste the difference between a Marlboro and a Winston. I thought I could, but I really couldn't. I could tell something like Dorals or Kents, versus a name brander. But, there didn't seem to be a huge difference, to my tastes, between name brand "full flavor" smokes.

Can't say the same about pipe tobaccos. Whatever "flavor" you enjoy, or seek, their is likely a pipe tobacco that covers it. From straight tobacco to peppermint candy. You really ought try Mixture 79. Most ex smokers find it wonderful.

"To seek freedom is the only driving force I know. Freedom to fly off into that infinity out there."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. pawpaw

pawpaw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You really ought try Mixture 79. Most ex smokers find it wonderful.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I never really took an interest in cigarette tobacco, but I got the impression that there were a few high end brands
    that use(d) only premium leaf; and included Virginia, Perique and orientals. They were the sorts of cigarettes that
    were only sold in B&M's -- never in vending machines and drugstores, etc. Rattray's and Dunhill come to mind,
    but I'm sure there were many more.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

You really ought try Mixture 79

Now that's just mean!

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. muntajab

muntajab

Login to Send PM

Lately I've been smoking rolled cigarettes using local tobacco. Local tobacco here comes a very thin ribbons cut. so I thought I can get the whole leaf and cut it myself to suit pipe smoking. what do you think?

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. muntajab

muntajab

Login to Send PM

Because in Syria we don't have bulk stores, and pipe tobacco in general is hard to find all the times of the year. If I get Captain black white for three months for example, the rest of the year I have to look for some other brands because i wont be available anymore. I usually smoke then, Mac Barren (If I am lucky to find it), or Colts American mixture, or backwoods black and Gold.

I feel Insecure about my pipe smoking so I want a permanent solution for this problem.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. hanymamdouh

hanymamdouh

Login to Send PM

@muntajab

Why don't you try online shopping? it is very easy if ypu don't have troubles with customs in Syria. You can try http://www.pipesandcigars.com, and http://www.cupojoes.com, the home page of the magazine shows a lot of sponsers.

Give me a pipe, a pitbull dog, and a book...then leave me in an island for ever...!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. muntajab

muntajab

Login to Send PM

I don't think they would ship it to Syria

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. doctorthoss

doctorthoss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are some tobaccos that are made to be used as either pipe or cigarette tobacco, although they might only be available in the U.S. Both Prince Albert and Carter Hall, for instance, can be used either way. Also, American Spirit and Drum hand-rolling tobacco can be smoked in a pipe as well -- in fact, they're pretty enjoyable that way!

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. leonardw

Leonard Wortzel

Brand Manager, Lane Limited

Login to Send PM

If you're asking about the leaves before processing, the answer to your question is absolutely. The base for most cigarette tobacco is Virginia and the two most common other leaf variants are Burley and Oriental. (Again, I'm referring to the leaf types before any processing.)

Not all cigarette tobaccos, particularly roll-you-own, have untold numbers of evil additives. (Full disclosure: I manage the Bugler brand as well as Captain Black). Most of the American Spirit RYO blends, for instance, have nothing but water added to the tobacco.

Lately I've been smoking rolled cigarettes using local tobacco. Local tobacco here comes a very thin ribbons cut. so I thought I can get the whole leaf and cut it myself to suit pipe smoking. what do you think?

It will be a much different smoking experience than smoking a traditional pipe tobacco. The leaves in pipe tobacco have been dried, re-hydrated, cased and topped with a flavoring.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. tokerpipes

tokerpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There you have it the man who would know best has said it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info, Leonard! It's great that you are taking an active role on these forums, giving us the word from "the horse's mouth", as it were.

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

The base for most cigarette tobacco is Virginia

That's what I thought too, but I had no proof.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"The base for most cigarette tobacco is Virginia"

Not burley? This is news to me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I don't think they would ship it to Syria

I betthey would. They have international shipping, and great customer service

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. seakayak

seakayak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They both use tobacco, but that's where the similarity ends. Just as cigarette and pipe smokers tend to have very different personalities. One need only enjoy a good pipe tobacco in a great old briar to understand.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. jimbo

jimbo

Login to Send PM

Half & Half was called that originally because it was "Half Burley and Half Bright"(Virginia) and said on the pocket tin "for pipe or cigarette". I'm not sure what the blend is today, but I would guess the original was cut more for cigarettes (shredded) rather than today's H&H which is chunkier for pipe smoking.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Nat Sherman makes a good, natural cigarette as well. I would smoke those when money was burning a hole in my pocket. American Spirits when I could get them and Bugler when times were tough.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. muntajab

muntajab

Login to Send PM

Thank all you for help

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. maineyachtie

maineyachtie

Login to Send PM

When I was a cigarette smoker I started with Marlboro Red's later on when I had started pipe smoking I also smoked American Spirit Cigarettes. They are a very high end cigarette no additives they even have a virginia/perique cigarette. No longer smoke any cigarettes at all.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   simnettpratt, jmatt, agnosticpipe, tarak, shaintiques, tbradsim1, darwin, cmdrmcbragg