Are All Butane Brands Basically the Same?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Last night my Tsubota Pearl EDDIE arrived. (Very cool lighter). I was getting ready to fill it up with some butane I bought at my local B&M called Ronson. But when I bought my Xikar, they said only to use Premium Xikar brand butane so I bought a few of the cans. On their website they say something to the affect that most of the repairs they do are due to people using "cheap" butane. I didnt want to take a chance so I bought their brand. Then.... I recently bought a Colibri and they said to only buy Colibri brand butane. Is this like the battery industry where there are basically only 3 or 4 manufacturers and everyone else just rebrands or is there a real difference?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
My understanding is there is a real difference. I use only the Xikar butane which to my understanding is about the most pure butane on the market. I would continue buying that versus wrecking a perfectly good lighter with slightly cheaper stuff. I bought one can 6 months ago and have been using it for all my pipe and cigar lighters with no issue.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
OK - well at least I know I can't go wrong with filling up my Tsubota with the Xikar. Thanks !

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I've heard that many butane lighters won't last more than a few months due to cheap butane so I bought myself a case of 5x refined butane and so far my colibri lighter hasn't given me the slightest trouble (7+ months later).

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I had a cheap lighter that I filled with cheap butane and it no longer works. I've taken it into my local shop, and then taken it apart and tried to fix it myself when they couldn't. The thing just doesn't hold fuel anymore, or doesn't push it out, or something that adds up to - it's broke! Not sure if it was the cheap lighter or the cheap fuel, but I'll probably replace the lighter with one just as cheap, and may look into nicer fuel this time around...

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
It's my understanding that the "premium" butane products are put through the refining process several times in order to reduce the amount of impurities in the final product - some combination of boiling or heat-treating plus chemical processes that convert crude petroleum into various flammable gases and liquids. Ronson is the lowest grade stuff - refined once and left at that. Fine for cheap lighters that are practically disposable, or for welding equipment that's a little more robust and easier to clean.
It's very much like the difference between well vodka at the bar, and the brand name stuff on the upper shelves - certain higher grade vodkas are distilled multiple times for the same reason.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I ran a Ethylene Plant , built one from the ground up, here's the skinny, Butane has what we call in the industry Heavies, they will crap up coke up, by fractanation separating the heavies you are makeing a pure product, for the slight cost buy the good stuff, not sure if I really believe the 5 times ad but at least it's been refined IMHO. The old cajun

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
It's a bit like cheap Vodka versus a real top premium brand. Although they are similar, the more expensive one will tend to have less impurities in it. :D

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
Been using Ronson in an IM Corona Old Boy for several years (GASP!!! OH THE HORROR!!!). Zero problems.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Hmmmm my BIC that I paid 1.90 for seems to be working fine but my old boy is out for repairs again. I grant you it only costs me 9.00 to have it repaired but geeze I can four bics for that and they light everytime. Think I'm going to stick to my bics

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks everyone - this is embarrassing but I can't figure out how to fill this lighter. When I put my Xikar file thingy in, it sort of sprayed everywhere. I tried it several times. There are no instructions with this lighter and the info on the internet is almost unavailable. I can't figure this out. Anyone have one and can enlighten me? Thanks.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Zon coach me thru , is the thing you are talking about the different tips you put on the fill nozzle? If so it may be the wrong one, next did you thumb down the flame adg to the lowest setting, now here's the thing, put your lighter in the fridge for about 5 minutes, put your can of butane in washbasin about 1/3 of it in hot water, you are lowering the pressure in lighter and raising the pressure in butane can , firmly push down on fill nozzle with fill can, count to 8, put it down wait a minute or 2 and do it again, works for me. The old cajun

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks everyone - this is embarrassing but I can't figure out how to fill this lighter. When I put my Xikar file thingy in, it sort of sprayed everywhere. I tried it several times. There are no instructions with this lighter and the info on the internet is almost unavailable. I can't figure this out. Anyone have one and can enlighten me? Thanks.
I don't own your lighter, but my colibri has a small nipple on the bottom. Before I fill it, I press down the nipple to release the pressure (using a pen tip), then shake the can well, fit it over the nipple (holding upside down) and press.
Doesn't take much to fill it (mine has a window so I can see how much is inside to avoid over-filling).

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I just bought an Im Corona Old boy last year and after filling it with Ronson butane was feeling like I wasted a lot of money on a lighter. When visiting my family over Christmas I had to buy a bottle of butane to fill my old boy and all they sold was Xikar. What a HUGE difference. No more spitting and sputtering, no surges, nothing but reliable consistent flame. Quality of butane does make a big difference.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Yes Cajun - it seems like the fill hole nipple is too big for the size of my Xitar. So i am holding it upside down completely vertical and when i press the can down, it sprays everywhere. Good idea about the cold vs hot. I'll have to try that when I get home. Very interesting problem here.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks Six. I was trying to use the standard Xitar butane in the silver and blue spray can on a new Tsubota lighter.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
" this is embarrassing but I can't figure out how to fill this lighter."
See this helpful video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ttjmi4PK0A

cedeks

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2012
Several times I had to buy cheap butane mainly because I needed to fill my lighter and was in a place that doesn't have any better ones. All of these times ended in having problems such as that the bottle didn't have enough gas to fill the lighter or the nozzle broke as soon as I used and gas was wasted in air or something got jammed inside and the butane got stuck inside. In all cases I would only recommend high quality (which doesn't always mean expensive) butane only to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.