PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhb2532

Lifer
Feb 22, 2010
How did this get past the mayur? Iwould have thought he would have then reburied.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I really enjoy reading about tobacco history. I yearn for days when a person could enjoy this fine art without all the PC bullshirt.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Yes, we are members of an old and venerable fraternity.

Thanks Bob,

I love the history that one cannot find in text books.

The day to day inconveniences, struggles, prejudices and wider realities of life in our progenitor's past.

The implication that the "Colonies" were given 'seconds' and flawed merchandise is illuminating. Makes one contemplate the worlds unconscious perceptions of our nations place in the larger world at that time.

OR, is that all they could afford?

It depends on the context of the find, the social status of the owners. The article said the fragment were found in trash. What type of trash? Was this the contents from a fireplace? If so, were they discarded from a public house (a pub or restaurant) or a home, or a place of business. How did their former owners make their living? Were they aristocrats, restauranteurs, carpenters, tinkers... thieves...... slaves? Romanticizing here: If from a pub; were these pipe smokers discussing taxation by the crown, or Suzy Rotten Crotch's ankles over on Wall street over a pint of ale or porter? Were they Dutch, or English subjects? Did they smoke their pipes by candle light or oil lantern?

Damn... I love history.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Interesting article indeed.
It's funny...whenever I travel to England for work, I stay in Chester (because it the closest city to the factory). But most of the immigration personnel at the Manchester airport have no idea where Chester is. And here some pipes made in Chester are found in NY. Small world!
Chester, by the way, is a cool little city. It began as a Roman fort in 79 AD. Most of the wall that surrounds the city dates back to ~900 AD. There are quite a few buildings dating back to the 13th century. Very cool to see that kind of history in person!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I would love to visit Britain some day, Scotland and Ireland too of course. Just to see the lands that my family hales from, and to soak in its history.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Art, you will never find a tastier Guinness than one from Dublin!
Lawrence, if you ever make it to Scotland, make sure you go to the "Scotch Whisky Heritage Center" in Edinburgh. They have over 300 whiskies behind the bar to sample from!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I had another thought about this information in the article.

I, like many, consider the roots of the pipe making arts to be the providence of the English. I intend no slight to the indigenous peoples of North America. That is another matter all together with its roots based entirely in its own traditions and history, having nothing to do with Europeans until Sir Walter Raleigh.

The article states that many of the pipes were of Dutch manufacture. The art of pipe making is still skillfully practiced today by the Dutch.

Here is a link that discusses the roots of the pipe making traditions in Denmark.

Quite interesting: Dutch Clay Tobacco Pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.