Apparently I Collect Savinelli's Now + Cheap Filter Converter (Pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
In the last 4 months I've bought no less than 4 used Savinelli's one of them an Iwan Ries Savinelli. I hadn't set out to do this, but just saw the pipes and liked what I saw. Plus they were all fairly inexpensive, the most expensive $28 including shipping.
The first was the Iwan Ries pipe, stamped Straight Grain, shape 622KS. A couple of months later, I came upon 3 more Savs over a period of 3 weeks or so. Man I just couldn't stop! I've always liked the Capri Root in the natural finish, and when I saw it in shape 904, which I've always wanted, I had to bid on it. Next came a Roma in a shape I wasn't familiar with, a 627 bent egg with diamond shank. Buy it now $22, no problem! Lastly a pipe I've never been too fond of, the Alligator. I never really liked the rustication as they seemed a little weird to me, and the colors weren't my favorite either. I saw this one in brown, the best color as far as I was concerned, in a Canadian shape 804KS. It was an older pipe, and needed a lot of cleaning, but buy it now $18, had to do it!
Now all of them have been cleaned up and are great smoking pipes, but two of them are filter pipes, and I don't usually use filters. I know I can smoke with out the filter converter tube, but it just seemed to be too open for me. I also know these tubes can be bought cheaply, but I was looking for something I could do right away. In my junk drawer, I found just the thing. A section of stiff tubing I had kept for some reason, with an outside diameter of 1/4". I'm not sure but it may have been a piece of water supply line for an ice maker, and is probably available at most hardware stores. Just cut off a piece with a sharp blade and it fits nice and snug but comes out easy enough, and passes a pipe cleaner too. It probably doesn't cut down the draw as much as the real tube, but I find it works nice for me.
I now have 9 Savinelli pipes, more than any other brand, and I think they are some of the best smoking pipes I have. I'm not a collector per se, but I feel like that's the direction I'm going in, and can't think of a reason to stop... :roll:
Latest 3 pipes

img_0239-600x493.jpg

Home made converter tube

img_0236-600x411.jpg

img_0240-600x449.jpg

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
good looking pipes...great job on the clean-ups, orley.
handy tip on the tubing, as well.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Great looking briar. Looks as though they are well used as well as loved. I have one Sav procured here through the forum and I adore it.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
WOW...great job on those pipes. They look great. Great idea with the tubing there too! :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I like the Sav's too ... great value!
Another "hidden gem" from them is the Rossi line ... they smoke just like my Sav's. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's hard to beat Sav's. Right across the price levels they give you a good smoking pipe, and yet are able to give

you more for a higher price when you go that way. My wife splurged for a Christmas Sav for me, on discount, but

it would have cost a lot more. It has all of the virtues of my other Savs, but excells with an especially dramatic

finish, refined shape, excellent drilling, and perfect balance. Sav goes the xtra mile.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have one of their 904 alligators, and it is one of my favorites. Have thought about making a collection of 904's in different finishes.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
The only Sav I have is an Estella, but I would like more, yes it's a great smoker and I love the Sav's you have found, hopefully I too will find some in the near future.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
@gigger: I baked a frozen cheese pizza for lunch today, so I hope I'm heading in the right direction. :mrgreen:
My wife wants me to learn to make spaghetti puttanesca for her before I buy any more Italian pipes, inexpensive ones or not....

Status
Not open for further replies.