Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
I'm thinking of getting one and wondered how they work for pipes. Also, I know they are famous for the "ping" sound when you open them, and I was wondering if that got annoying. I typically have five or more re-lights during a bowl depending on how often I have to set the pipe down and walk away.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Nope, I was pushing my luck expense wise, buying an Old Boy. They work great, but I wish I hadn't bought the chrome finish one, because it's slippery and hard to hold on to with my big hands.

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
I have a Dupont Ligne 2. You can get them with the angled burner fitted, and I recommend that for pipes. It's a lovely lighter and works beautifully. The 'pling' doesn't become annoying and you can just oven the cover more gently if you prefer to use it quietly.
This is the one I have. Black lacquer and palladium.
image_zpssw9qqpm8.jpeg

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Yep, older Ligne 1 here. Love it. Seen HERE.

You can fit a pipe nozzle on regular ones (sold on eBay) - but they work fine with out one.

I have a gold diamond head Ligne 1 for sale if gold is your thing... just serviced (myself) and works great...

The ping wears out after a while, though I don't find it annoying.

Also, you don't have to use their lil bottled gas - you can get an adapter (eBay) and use regular bottles of gas.
Album of gold one HERE.

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
Moriarty, that is the one I am looking at getting. How does it wear? I'm looking for a lighter I can keep in my pocket. I like my ol boys but the finish just doesn't last if you keep em in your pocket.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I like mine, though I don't use it that often. It was a gift. I don't think I could bring myself to spend $500-$600 on a lighter. Though when one considers what one spends on BIC lighters over the years, perhaps it's cheap.

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
Moriarty, that is the one I am looking at getting. How does it wear? I'm looking for a lighter I can keep in my pocket. I like my ol boys but the finish just doesn't last if you keep em in your pocket.

I've only had it a couple of years. It's still in perfect condition, but I keep it at home and I don't carry it in a pocket. If I did I would get some sort of case for it. Too nice to let it get scratched up.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I had no idea you could get a pipe nozel on them. I assume it needs to be sent to the factory. I have a collection of Duponts as they were always for my cigars or cigarettes. I do have a Davidoff lighter that has an angled flame. It is the second from the right.

I have never bought the Dupont rip off gas, I was always able to use an adaptor from any good butane I bought. I happen to love the ping.

IMGP1939.jpg

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
You can change out nozzles yourself (in the Ligne 1's at least, not sure about other models, probably similar though) - they just screw in and out with needle-nose pliers.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hmmmm. A seven day lighter set! What will they think of next?
It is impressive, though. Beautiful, in fact. I do lust for a great lighter....one day.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I had a silver one in my cigarette smoking days. Never missed a beat! The gold one I have now is inherited from my late stepfather and still "pings" which is considered music in the ears of a lighter connaiseur. :wink:

I haven´t used it for my pipes but eventually will. If you are prepared to spend that much money on a lighter Dupont is one of the lighters to go for.

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
Does anyone know where to pick up the parts to switch the burner out to a pipe lighter? I did a Google search but didn't find anything.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
I've only found them on eBay, and not very often. I've tried to get them from service providers, but none would sell, telling me to send the lighter to them for installation instead...

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Elegant Lighters have some DuPont parts and they are a repair shop as well, they could probably convert a lighter to appear flame

Status
Not open for further replies.