PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
About six or eight months ago, a Forums member mentioned that J&R Cigar outlets were changing their format and marketing somewhat. As I recall this was in the direction of cigar (and perhaps pipe) lounges. At the time, it was difficult for me to visualize how these retailers located off major highways dependent on stops by motorists, mostly travelers, would attract what I see as foot traffic clientele to a smoking lounge, but I'd be interested to know how this is working, or what the new format might be. It's a sort of day trip, or at least a bit of a drive, for me to check it out, and I wonder if anyone else had visited a J&R and can describe how it's working.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I went to a J.R.s about a month ago. Hasn't changed yet. This one has always had sort of a lounge area though.

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
I frequent the JR Cigars in Whippany NJ a few times a month. I think they did a really good job with the makeover. Considerably more lounge space for me and my friends to sit back, relax, enjoy a pipe or cigar and a few beverages from the bar. I sort of miss being able to browse the other stuff they sold but overall I think its a better experience now.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just left the JR Cigars in Whippany NJ. That one had a large retail area, it has been replaced with a beautiful new lounge.(I didn't think to take pictures). A dozen or so tables/lounge chairs. Three tv viewing rooms with open fronts (no doors) but the televisions don't overpower each other. One jumbo TV lounge, also separated from the others by a wall. The old lounge they had, was pretty small and remains. This place has a restaurant and large bar (unchanged) and a waitress made the rounds in the new lounge. I throughly enjoyed the new digs - the old one would fill up quickly. I was working with the laptop, so I used the giant table. There was a also a bar-like counter at the opposite end. You can see updated pictures here:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x89c3a87f5fba153b:0x4572905cdb2590c4!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i100!3m1!7e1!4s//lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/uNhyBf7SrcmeL8bJBMFjJNE9Q93ru8AdA1AUwOlYvS-3E-yViVhHnCOh1zlz1Jiv_fLrQA5_bj0mKQkSHC_LaH12KDcRNkWCCACkqQXd0MPZgoeVG3KHDKCghg2QOiwC5vAbBSP3Nj5lkfx-0zkvWY3Dqh5SuzgFHIHe%3Dw240-h160!5sJR+Cigars,+whippany+-+Google+Search&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBt_Oc5bTKAhVF2T4KHXs-At8QoioIbTAN
The JR in Paramus/NJ is smaller, but had a similar upgrade to their lounge area.
I'd say each place tripled the lounge space.
I don't miss any opportunities to visit either of these JR's. I picked up a 100 gram tin of OGS for $18, which was fine for two hours of lounge use.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I visited JR's in Burlington a few weeks ago. They only sell tobacco now, and the smoking lounge was always very nice and comfortable with leather seats and a couch and TVs. I do think they sell just a little less pipe tobacco than they did before the change, but it's not that much a difference. I saw a little less C&D and McClelland than I had seen before.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Visited the new one in Mooresville.A nice lounge with a small bar for beer.Very good selection of cigars.A somewhat small selection of pipes and tobacco.I was told that the old one which was about 15 miles from this one depended a lot on interstate traffic and this one so far is mostly locals.It's a really nice place to hang out smoke,watch TV,and have a beer if you like.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think this gives JR almost a monopoly on chain smoking lounges. All the others I know are independent pipe shops, and are few and far between. It sounds like they get a good clientele and do well with this. I might have to make a trip and see how the one here looks, off I-90 in central N.C. They had or have a wide expanse of square footage, so it is difficult to visualize them giving up all of the discount merchandise. I'll just have to make a foray and see how they've adapted the space and if the smoking area has changed much. Last time I was there, they had a very large humidor and pipe tobacco area, but not much space for smoking per se. It was its own self-contained cigar and pipe shop, surrounded by a sort of discount department store with perfume, cigarettes by the carton, clothes, toys, and much else. It reminded me of an outdoor market in Mexico, though it is all indoors.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Yup, before the Whippany store was the only option in my area. Now it's not just the only option, it's the best one!

Status
Not open for further replies.