PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My progress through blends is glacial, my being a moderate smoker. I was intrigued in the PC catalog by C&D's plug Seersucker. It sounds full strength, to say the least, but it could also be complex and mellow. I don't know as I'll lay in a tin, since I have so many excellent possibilities on hand, but I thought I'd ask. Anyone try Seersucker?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I did. Here's my review:
The two varietals of cigar are the dominant components, and offers a little smokiness, some floralness, a bit of wood and earth with a little spicy sweetness along with a bare essence of creaminess. Dominican Corojo is the major cigar leaf, and I’m not sure what the other cigar tobacco is, but it sort of reminds me of Connecticut shade. The earthy, toasty, nutty and dry burley is a supporting player as is the lightly sweet, mostly sour, floral, woody Turkish. The Virginias are almost background ingredients with some grass and earth, light citrus, and tart and tangy dark fruit. The nutty, woody, lightly spicy dark fired Kentucky is a little more obvious than the Virginia. Underscoring the experience is the smoothing brown sugar feature of black cavendish. The nic-hit is a little closer to medium than it is to mild. No chance of bite or harshness, but here and there sports a rough note. The strength level starts out just below medium, and gains a little power as you go along, mostly settling in as a step or two above medium. The taste threshold at its peak barely crosses medium. The moist plug is easy to prepare to suit your preference, and may need a light dry time, though I saw no need to do so. Burns cool, clean and slow. As this complex blend has a number of nuances that waft in and out as you go along, there is a little inconsistency in flavor. Leaves very little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a floral, woody, lightly sour/sweet after taste that lingers a little. The room note is pleasant to tolerable. Can be an all day smoke for veteran smokers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jiminks, it sounds extra good. Among cigars, I have always had my best experiences with Dominicans, though I am always warning others against expecting a cigar experience from cigar leaf included in pipe blends, or even straight cigar leaf. I think this may be one I'll have to try, if not immediately. Jeremy at C&D does good work, so I'd have some confidence in his blends. I don't regularly smoke plugs, I think because of a little extra time required in slicing and prepping, but the ritual can enhance the smoke, if you have the time. Thank you for this condensed but comprehensive review. Also, it sounds as if this is a blend that would unfold even more with some aging, since I seem to cellar blends for a while.

Jul 12, 2011
I really did enjoy this blend. I have some out to dry ( I like to give a little extended dry times to this one since the plug comes with a little more moisture on it ) , normally I find anywhere from 12 to 24 hrs works for my taste/smoking style.
Some of my regular blends that I smoke and really enjoy to help give you a base here;
GLP's JackKnife Plug

GLPS's Key Largo

GLP's Triple PLay

C&D's Habana Daydream

C&D's Big 'N' Burley

C&D's Dreams of Kadath

C&D's Night Train

Marlin Flake

Dunhill Flake

Dunhill EMP

Peterson's UF

Solani's 600 and 633