Anyone Tried "Boveda" Humidity Control Pack?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
It's a sealed pack that you put in humidors and tobacco containers. It's supposed to provide 2-way humidity control. It seems to work in my tub of Carter Hall, but I'm wondering if the container is keeping the tobacco reasonably moist, or if the packet is actually working. Does anyone have any experience with this product?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I know several people who swear by them for keeping tubs moist. My advice would be to take it out once you feel the tobacco is at the correct moisture and just keep monitoring it. ONce it feels a little on the dry side put it back in. I received some advice to flip the corners of the cardboard lid and then put the pack in.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I've used the 75% pack to rehydrate a plug of Ten Russians that wasn't sealed properly. Worked great, and I'll use this method for any other plugs that become too dry.
-Jason

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I use them often. I have had a pack in my travel cigar box since July and the cigars are still fine.
You can also re-charge the packs when they dry out or start to dry out by placing them in a sealed container with a shot glass of distilled water.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've been using them for cigars since they were first introduced. I love them, they work.
I now have a bunch of the 62% ones in jars of pipe tobacco, either drying out really wet stuff, or rehumidifying dry tobacco. I checked the weight on a few of them, wrote it in pencil, and recheck them on occasion.
Caveat: If they get dried out, or close to dried out, they will crystalize inside into large chunks and will not work as well. So, keep an eye on them and rehumidify them as needed. To rehumidify, I take a damp sponge, put it into one of the ziploc "veggie bags" (the ones with the tiny holes)and put that and the Boveda-in-need-of-recharge in to a 2 gallon ziploc. It will take weeks to fully recharge, so buy enough of them to be able to cycle.

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
I bought a couple. Didn't have to touch my humidor for months. Ever since they ran out, I have to actually check my humidor every couple of days. Next time I get the chance, I'm buying more. I reccomend them.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Mr. Bacon,
The idea with these is that they are 2-way. They will evaporate water when the humidity gets too low, and absorb moisture when the humidity gets too high. Thus, you can "recharge" them by putting them in a place that is more humid than their rating, and they will fill back up with water.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Silica based kitty litter in a nylon stocking works great as well.
Been using that set-up in my tupper-dore for quite awhile now with success.
Edit: SCENT FREE!!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The dogs have usually gotten to that first!
Mmmmmmm ... little Almond Rocha candies ...

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thank you gentlemen for the info; this seems a reliable product for keeping tobacco fresh. Glad I didn't get shafted when I purchased a pack. As always, I must rely on the knowledgeable fellow here to help me along.

Status
Not open for further replies.