Anyone Tried Ashton Pebble Cut or C&D Red Carpet?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
These are VA flakes with Perique and Orientals. I just tried mixing some McClelland Christmas Cheer with some Perique and Izmir and it is fantastic. I wondered if anyone had tried either Ashton Pebble Cut or C&D Red Carpet.
EDIT: I just realized that GL Pease Cairo has a similar formula (VA's, Perique and Orientals). Is Cairo comparable to the other two blends?

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I had Ashton pebblecut made by McConnell, from the 80s, and it was fantastic. Then I had an aversion to perique, and have it away.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, chubbster.
I also notice that C&D Sunday Picnic follows a similar formula.
My little home blending experiment tasted nutty, sweet and fragrant -- wondering if any of these blends exhibit similar qualities. What do you call them, anyway, VaPerO's?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Oh and that Ashton Old London Pebble Cut? I haven't seen it in years -- is it still sold in the USA?
Yeah, McClelland makes it, now, I believe, but it's available on smokingpipes. In fact, it's in my cart right as I write this. Of course, now I'm trying to decide whether to order that or Sunady Picnic (or Red Velvet Carpet).

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Why not get all three? Or at least two, the Pebblecut and the Sunday Picnic.
Yeah, I guess that's the way to go. Buy more! Seriously, that's good advice -- I'll probably do that.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
If you like Suncay Picnic, try Sunset Harbor Flake. No Periqoe, but it also has Izmir.
http://www.4noggins.com/cornellanddiehlsunsetharborflake2oz.aspx

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
This one adds, latakia, which Sunday Picnic does not have. In any case, IIRC, it's a nice English.
For me, that was the great thing about my VA-Perique-Izmir experiment -- because it had no Latakia it tasted unlike any English blend I've had, but at the same time it was totally different from an ordinary VaPer. For the first time in a great while, I felt like I had tasted something new.
I had the same sense of discovery with both Ennerdale and the Lakeland VA flakes. Same with 1792 and Penzance. The VaPerO seems like a whole new territory of taste experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.