Anyone realize how crazy and ridiculous we all are?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I was just thinking about it, we really are nuts, (pipe smokers) we make something that is potentially easy into a project...
for example, how to smoke s cigarette: take out of box, light, breath in...
Cigar: take out of box, cut, light, puff, repeat puff
Pipe: take out pipe, take out tobacco, rub out tobacco, let tobacco dry, load tobacco into the pipe, light, tamp, relight, puff.....pipe went out, tamp, light, puff, tamp, puff, tamp, tamp, puff, puff, pipe went out again, tamp, relight, puff, tamp, puff, tamp, puff.....pheww, done....not really... empty pipe, clean pipe....rinse and repeat...
Dont get me wrong, the rituals are half the appeal for me, but what makes us different than the rest of the smoking society?
Anyone thought about how crazy we are?

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
The ritual is part of the realxing experience. You can't rush through it, it's a slow process by nature. You can do most anything with a cigarette or cigar hanging out of your yap, but it's not so easy with a pipe. It's much more than just getting a nicotine hit. Smoking a pipe requires commitment, which brings its unique reward. I think the rest of the tobacco users are the crazy ones.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
good point radio. if tomorrow someone invented a pill that gave us all the benefits of eating just in a moment of swallowing it, how many would still prefer to cook, sit and eat their food with a knife and fork, savor each bite, serve appealing-looking combinations of foods artfully arranged on nicely made plates and eaten with well-crafted cutlery. what fun would just popping a pill be?

Jul 15, 2011
The whole idea behind tobacco preparation, tobacco dry time, packing technique, and lighting and smoking technique is what I love about a pipe. It takes a certain amount of skill, finesse, and patience to do correctly. Hell if it was easy, everyone would be doing it, and it would make it far less special, at least in my opinion. I don't think I'm crazy for enjoying a pipe, I think everyone else who doesn't smoke a pipe is crazy for NOT smoking one. :puffy:

mano

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2011
The crazy part isn't all the rigmarole of lighting, tamping, relighting, etc. I agree, that's relaxing and purposeful. It's the hobbyist part. That includes hunting down pipes with particular grain, maker, style and so on. Going on line, talking and reading about pipe esoterica. You know, generally making something about nothing!
Cigar smokers, wine drinkers, foodies, knife people, car people; they all do it.
Just part of the fun of being human, I guess.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
I think the others are the crazy ones, they get nowhere near the enjoyment out of a cigarette as I do out of my pipe!!!! :puffy:

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
Anybody can smoke a cigarette or cigar but it takes a special person to smoke and enjoy a pipe. Pipe Smokers are very special people. :puffy:

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
It's about slowing down and relaxing. Case in point, I use a straight razor to shave. It takes a heck of a lot of steps and preparation, but the shave is amazing. Sure I could use a cartridge razor and goo in a can. Or in the way of smoking, I could easily roll the tobacco intoa cigarette.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
Sure pipe smokers are crazy: not only do they take a perfectly easy to understand activity into a "hobby" -- never quite understood that definition -- but they make videos of themselves partaking in "it", writing about "it", reading about "it", forming clubs around "it"... that reeks of the of behavior of crazy folk.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Crazy, maybe, but it what helps separate a tobacco enthusiast from just another nicotine addict. After I quit nails, I smoked maybe a cigar or 2 a year, each time weighing the decision of finding just the right taste for the occasion. As a pipe smokier I can weigh out this decision every day if I choose. Then I get the added layer of what pipe, where and how much to enjoy at a time.
Hmm come to think of it that is a little nuts. But what the hell. if the straight jacket fits...

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Yes, it is crazy in a sense. Although, more accurately, I think many of us are just very dedicated and passionate about our hobbies or interests. I for one don't do many things "half-assed". I go all the way or just leave it alone. I have a lot of hobbies other than pipes/tobacco. High-end whisky, milsurp rifles, video games, craft beer, and im just as dedicated and passionate about all of them. Im glad you pointed this out jchaplick, because I thought "why yes, I AM crazy and ridiculous". I tell ya, I kinda like it too. And looking at these forums, im not the only one 8)

mano

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2011
Sure pipe smokers are crazy: not only do they take a perfectly easy to understand activity into a "hobby" -- never quite understood that definition -- but they make videos of themselves partaking in "it", writing about "it", reading about "it", forming clubs around "it"... that reeks of the of behavior of crazy folk.

You understand it perfectly!
FWIW, in the vast world of internet forums I've noticed an overlap of folks who enjoy anachronistic pursuits such as pipes, wet shaving, fountain pens, cigars, bespoke or hand-sewn men's clothing.
All of these interests require slowing down a bit, enjoying the little things in life and appreciating artisanship.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Pipe: take out pipe, take out tobacco, rub out tobacco, let tobacco dry, load tobacco into the pipe, light, tamp, relight, puff.....pipe went out, tamp, light, puff, tamp, puff, tamp, tamp, puff, puff, pipe went out again, tamp, relight, puff, tamp, puff, tamp, puff.....pheww, done....not really... empty pipe, clean pipe....rinse and repeat...
Now try doing all that with a pair of pants that don't quite fit right and then imagine how nuts most of us are.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
pipedisciple: funny u mentioned special as i was loadin pipe yesterday, wife used that same word to me, "special" but somehow i dont think she meant it in the same way hahhahahah

Status
Not open for further replies.