Anyone Know Anything About GBD Pipe Lighters?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

Evening All,
I just scored this GBD Lighter.
I've tried searching the interweb for info, but come up blank. Does anyone know anything about them?
I don't even know what fuel it takes!!!!
All assistance gratefully received :)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
It looks like a fluid lighter. As such, a flint and fluid should serve you well. Any flint should do and Zippo fluid will work. Good luck with it.

stanwellman

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2011
Klause,

Based on the E-bay pictures it would appear that:

-it is butane lighter made in Japan and the GBD designation most likely means that GBD ordered a bunch of them,

-the base center screw is the valve cover – take it out and you should be able to fill the lighter with butane,

-the other screw in the base in the base is the flame size regulator,

-the switch in the side of the lighter, as a guess, will allow you to change the flame angle – once lit, the lighter most likely produces a vertical flame, but moving the switch up or down changes the flame to a 45 (or so) degrees angle,

-it is an older example of the “old boy” style lighter and as long as it works, it looks great.

Have fun with it…. .

K

klause

Gents, thanks for the comments - i appreciate it.
Any ideas on how hard these things are to service?

May 31, 2012
Cool lighter there, can't offer much info but Stanwellman is on the spot, I think it's butane.
In my experience with old Japanese butane lighters, not much really (I have 2 Sarome, 1 Prince, and 1 Korean no name) the biggest concern will be if the seals are okay, if they ain't then it'll leak, but it's fairly easy to find modern neoprene seals (or something similar) of the right size...
...other than that, the filler nozzle may be an odd size that will require an adapter.
Hopefully all will be well and it'll hold fuel with no leaking.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Based on the picture of the bottom of the lighter I still think it's a fluid lighter. The slotted piece in the bottom is unscrewed and the fluid goes in there. I can't imagine that there would be a screw cover for butane.

I also believe that the smaller screw is for where the flint goes. It should have a spring attached that puts tension on the flint to push it against the striking wheel.

At any rate, it's a neat looking piece. Let us know what you discover about it.

May 31, 2012
Found this pic online where it shows the butane nozzle...
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc474/bubbajackson/2012-01-26_22-53-16_287.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Sounds like my Old Boy, screw prevents small particles of trash from getting in fill valve, good idea but my Pipemaster does not have it, should have though.

K

klause

Thanks for all the comments, gents - much appreciated.
I kinda guessed it was just a bit of an oldboy knock off, but, its still a cool little lighter (i dig those old style lighters), and if it works, well and good. If not, it'll be a little winter project for me.
Now, come on postman.............

Status
Not open for further replies.