Anyone Know about Irish Bog Oak Pipes???

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalton

Lurker
Apr 15, 2011
was wondering if any one might know about the Irish bog oak pipes with shamrocks and harps i have one and need some more info it lead me to know if it is from Peterson or a co Peterson cottage from Dublin

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I saw one sell on Ebay last year that was from Peterson, but that was the only one I have ever seen and I don't know anything else about them.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Dalton, do you have pictures of it ?

If its the pipe I am thinking of, its not the same as Morta, schmitz. It looks pretty much like a clay pipe, but carved of oak, with shamrocks and harps carved on the sides.

dalton

Lurker
Apr 15, 2011
i have put some pictures of the pipe up on my page here any info is appreciated thanks

dalton

Lurker
Apr 15, 2011
i have put some pictures of the pipe up on my page here any info is appreciated thanks

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Here are the pictures of Daltons pipe;

stuffforsale356.jpg

stuffforsale354.jpg

stuffforsale347.jpg

stuffforsale324_1.jpg

stuffforsale322.jpg

stuffforsale316_1.jpg

stuffforsale315.jpg

stuffforsale314.jpg

Dalton can tell you more about it.

All I know is an Ebay auction I saw last year with one of these pipes.

I know the seller had a scan of some sort of Peterson literature, either an add or something which came in the box that showed pictures of a pipe just like this one. The pipe dated back to the 1800's and was a very very early Peterson.

I recall it sold for lots of money, but don't recall if it was $300 or $3000, just remember it was way more than I could have paid for it.

dalton

Lurker
Apr 15, 2011
new question who made the design for the 8B in the 1905 Peterson catalog?
if i find that answer it will confirm if it is Peterson or the kapp brothers

dalton

Lurker
Apr 15, 2011
i put it on e bay its causing me too many problems its like having jimmy Hoffa remains with out technology to test the D.N.A to prove its Hoffa make your best offer and its yours i have it way high so i don't loose it for cheep it is a 100+ years old and it came from a museum that closed 25 years ago and the wood is at least 2000 to 10000 years old haven't carbon dated it or had it appraised yet but mite

May 10, 2011
I saw your add on E Bay last month. Too bad you can't prove that it's a Peterson. After getting in touch with the Peterson factory historian they don't recognize it as a original . Still a hard to find pipe that's made of bog oak. LD Jonathan :puffpipe: :puffpipe: :puffpipe:

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
You and I have been behind the barn about this pipe before and I apologise for any remarks I may have made that offended you.

I was fooled into thin king mine was an 1800,s pipe too. If you'll study Mike Leverette's treatise on Peterson bog oak pipes, you'll see all of them were two piece with silver mounts and Peterson stamps. Even the bog oak pipes Peterson made during WW II were silver mounted wiht the proper hallmarkings.

Status
Not open for further replies.