PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I am not much of a world traveler (been to HK and China a couple of times, also Canada: Quebec and Montreal but that's about it). I've also never been to Europe (which just kills me). Right now money is too tight to make travel a reality, so I travel vicariously through TV.
I have to say that my favorite is "Rick Steves' Europe". He is without question an über-nerd, but that's part of his charm I think. I also watch the other travel shows on PBS, Rudy Maxa, Burt Wolf - who are pretty good as well, but Steves' show for me hits all the marks.
I occasionally watch Globe Trekker. One of the hosts (Ian Wright) is quite good and has a great sense of humor.
Anyone else a regular watcher of travel shows and if so, do you have a favorite?

Yep, me too. Although I did a bicycle tour of the Netherlands and France back in college, I would love to go back and spend more time in each of the areas. I have to go to India occasionally for buying trips for my business, and I really don't want to go back there for an official vacation. Large populations make me a nervous wreck.
I love Globe Trekker and any of the few shows hosted by Anthony Bourdain. I like his style.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I like Rick Steves too. Also a fan of Anthony Bourdain -Parts unknown and No Reservations on the Travel Channel. I've done a little traveling just US and Canada and Caribbean. I've never seen Europe but always wanted to though. I have two big problems with travel. 1) I really don't like flying on airplanes. 2)Cost. I'd rather spend my money on things I can have and continue to enjoy. Like pipes, firearms, bicycles etc.
That said an ocean cruise on a sailing ship is on my bucket list.
(edit) Cosmic I would love to ride a bike around Amsterdam. I like how over there they ride because it is the quickest and easiest way to get around. Not like recreation over on this side of the pond and if you are in a larger city in the US a constant life or death struggle with the cars.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
+1 on Anthony Bourdain! I love No Reservations, but his "Layover" show is starting to grow on me. I think it's mostly because he just gets drunk every episode :rofl:

Amsterdam was nice, but hitting all of those beautiful scenic areas in the countryside was amazing. I'm not sure it's still the case now, but back then we could travel for days and stay in hostels with just a day pack. And, the people were much more friendly than in Paris. However, not to give all Frenchmen a bad name, outside of Paris they were much more accommodating. I just wish I had of been a pipe smoker back then, I probably could have picked up a lot of awesome pipes. I did have my first experience with Drum Rolling Tobacco in Amsterdam, which caused me a struggle with cigarettes that lasted two decades.
I used to be a big fan of Travel Channel's Samantha Brown. Fan, maybe crush is a better term. She was just so darn perky :puffy:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
2)Cost. I'd rather spend my money on things I can have and continue to enjoy. Like pipes, firearms, bicycles etc.
Cosmic I would love to ride a bike around Amsterdam. I like how over there they ride because it is the quickest and easiest way to get around. Not like recreation over on this side of the pond and if you are in a larger city in the US a constant life or death struggle with the cars.
+1 on all points.
My wife and I put our money towards are dream home rather than on vacations. The upside is that we spend every day in our favorite vacation spot. :puffy:
I enjoying cycling and would love to ride around Europe and Amsterdam is well known for being biking friendly.
I used to be a big fan of Travel Channel's Samantha Brown. Fan, maybe crush is a better term. She was just so darn perky :puffy:
+1

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
I enjoy traveling shows a lot, never took a vacation for 25 years but wife n kids talked me into a vacation to Cuba 4 years ago, since then all hell broke loose lol.
I highly recommend a river cruise on the Danube, a great way to see a ton of amazing eastern European cities. The mystique and history over there is amazing. We spent two weeks in Italy and I could of lived there for a year.
Next on "bucket list"...
African Safari

Seychelles
For anyone putting off time away from work, stop it, life is meant to enjoy...live within your means, but certainly go exploring while your health allows you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think travel shows are a difficult art. Many of the hosts want to be admired and/or adored by the audience and don't do such

a great job of depicting the places. I think it takes a real passion and understanding of a place to do good film/video about it.

You have to be driven by the desire to share the place, not your charming face and patois. In person, I've been a lot of places,

but not compared to real travelers who go all the time. I've been to China, coastal Vietnam, Philippines, Taiwan, Midway Island,

and lots of Pacific Islands briefly for refueling with the Navy. I've been to London, the Lake District in England, Canterbury,

Scotland including Edinburgh, all around Ireland and also a separate trip to just Dublin, The Netherlands including Amsterdam

and the countryside, and Paris and Chartres, and the French provinces on a separate trip. In Canada, I've been to Toronto twice

on business, and Montreal just on a vacation. My U.S. travel is wide, but with big gaps. I've been all over Illinois, Wisconsin,

Michigan (Upper Peninsula is magnificent), and Missouri, some Iowa and Ohio. I've spent a lot of time in New York City and

State, Long Island, Washington D.C. and environs, and lots of meeting venues -- Dallas, Philly, Miami Beach, Cincinnati,

Indianapolis, Seattle, San Diego, Chicago (I grew up there), Kentucky, Arkansas, New Orleans several times before the flood.

Status
Not open for further replies.