PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
I really do enjoy that shape but I'm wondering about the general size of the thing? And how about that second stem? Is is a graceful churchwarden?
http://www.pipes2smoke.com/Cavicchi_B_lbo.htm
I quite like the rustic black, I couldn't think of a better finish for the shape
Anyone?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I have one but it's by Ser Jacopo. It looks the same w/ the same band, also purchased from Pipes2Smoke.com. I got it about 10 years ago and at first I just smoked it with the longer stem, but that made it too difficult to fit into the rack. It's not quite "churchwarden" length, though. But I'm not sure what you mean by "is is a graceful churchwarden".
I generally just use the shorter stem now.

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
My intent was to say is the stem a gracefully shaped churchwarden stem, be-fitting the character of Bilbo.
http://latimesherocomplex.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/sendaks-hobbit.jpg?w=600&h=426
Are there any interesting features in the mortise, is the draft hole angled inward to achieve that bend?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Here are some photos of the short and long stem. I'll let you be the judge on how "graceful" it is.
SerJacBilboShort-1.jpg

SerJacBilboLong-1.jpg

The drilling seems pretty straight forward to me. Again, I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're asking.

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
I don't know how to get this across but I'm wondering about the acute angle at which the "Heel" of the bowl meets the draft hole. How does this angle effect the way this pipe burns tobacco? Is the draft hole well placed at the bottom as to avoid excess moisture and nonburnable tobacco which can hide at the bottom of the bowl and avoid the passage of heat and air as you puff on the pipe?
And no, that I don't think could be called graceful considering how short and thick is is. It is amazing how your perception of a bowls shape can change from one stem to another!
Thank you for the pictures, I hope this pipe features regularly in your rotation!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
How does the angle of the drill effect the way the pipe burns tobacco? No differently than any other angle I have to say. It's well drilled (like all Ser Jacopos) and I've never had an issue with its performance.
Frankly, I don't smoke this one that often as I prefer pipes N. America.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I don't know which came first, the Julius Vesz Raindrop shape or the Jacopo Bilbo?? But I believe that Vesz made that shape first but not certain as they are both very similar with the exception that Vesz makes the shape smaller and with very intricately styled silver bands, and priced accordingly. Meaning very expensive.

They smoke like a dream, and very comfortable to hold in the jaw because of the deep bend. On the estate market they don't show up very frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.