Anyone have an Oscar Lucite by Savinelli?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
I'm close to pulling the trigger on one online but was curious if anyone knew how they look in person.
Any insight is appreciate. Thanks.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Welcome to the forum azpipe!
Savinelli is a reliable name and a good smoker for the money.
The ones you are mentioning aren't up my alley "style-wise" but probably a quality build for the price.
You can find the Savinelli "KS" series ,used, for $25-45 and they are great!
BTW ... what part of AZ are you in? There's a few of us around here! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have an Oscar Lucite KS prince with the bright orange stain and light stem. These are non-filter pipes, no balsa filter, no adaptor, unlike most Savenellis. It has been a durable and highly smokeable pipe that I bought for a wide bowl for complex blends, and it has the desired effect of widening out their flavors. In addition to the prince, I have several similar Savenelli pipes I bought unfinished with the same unfiltered set-up. When you buy them, they look very raw, but they slowly turn a golden walnut brown that glows when polished. These were sold as seconds in many cases, but the fills are a minor issue and they are a terrific bargain. Payless pipes has these now, but the line is being phased out because Savenelli has channeled its low-end pipes into its sub-brand Rossi. I highly recommend the unfinished pipes.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I have an Oscar Tiger that I've been very pleased with. I don't think you can go wrong with any Savinelli. Best pipe maker at that price point, in my opinion.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I have an Oscar Lucite 602, I've always liked the way it looked, and have really liked the way it smokes!

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I love Savs, u fortunately I don't have many.... Actually, I may only have one! Always catch my eye though when they are up for sale. WHICH IS ALL THE TIME ON THIS FOURM THANKS TO SOY!!

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I have a Lucite 602 as well. It's not my favorite pipe because it tends to smoke wet no matter what I do. But, other ten 2 minor fills on the side it looks good as far as that goes.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
BTW ... what part of AZ are you in? There's a few of us around here!
Scottsdale, up around Pinnacle Peak
I have an Oscar Lucite KS prince with the bright orange stain and light stem. These are non-filter pipes, no balsa filter, no adaptor, unlike most Savenellis. It has been a durable and highly smokeable pipe that I bought for a wide bowl for complex blends, and it has the desired effect of widening out their flavors.
Thats the exact pipe Im looking at for the exact same reason. I want something a wider bowl plus I like the prince shape. The yellow stem doesnt look like it shows well in photos so I figured I'd ask. Thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
azpipe, if you want the larger bowl, just make sure you get the prince KS, because I think there is a slightly smaller version. I think you'll be well satisfied. In my case, the rim has tended to scorch a little, lighting with matches only. Since I don't plan to resell the pipe, it doesn't matter, but if you are sensitive about such things, light the pipe very carefully, don't pack it too full, and control the flame. I just enjoy pipes, so a little wear looks good to me. This is the only prince I have, and I appreciate the wide bowl.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
because I think there is a slightly smaller version.
Indeed there is. The 313 that's available has the same diameter but the bowl depth is 2mm less.
313 diameter 20.32mm

313 chamber depth 26.42mm
315KS diameter 20.32mm

315KS chamber depth 28.45mm
I prefer english blends and part of me wonders if the 313 may be better suited for such as the aspect ratio is closer to 1:1. But then again, lord knows I have a tendency to over complicate some things....

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
I have an 824 KS. It's a beautiful pipe. I got it at a trunk show years go. The Savinelli rep hand picked the pipes that he brought. This one had zero fills and a nice grain. I have 10 Savs and this one is the worse smoker. Smokes a little hot and wet.

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
Pipe is stamped 824KS. The trunk show was at Leaf & Ale in Knoxville when they were sill around and it was years ago.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My Oscar Lucite prince is a 315 KS. It has a good draw, no moisture accumulation, has never gurgled, has respectable grain, and no visible fills. It's light weight for its size, or for any size. Some Forums members have panned the prince shape has being fussy, but this pipe is a big bowled, somewhat rowdy looking briar, no wimp pipe, in my opinion. No filter, no fuss. It's an excellent pipe for complex English and Balkan blends, although I think it would do most blends well. Like most Sav's, I would say it's done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.