Tags:  No tags yet. 

Anyone Ever Work in a Tobacco Field?

(24 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by diamondback
  • Latest reply from diamondback
  1. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

I worked harvesting burley one summer between semesters back in the 80’s. Hardest manual labor I’ve ever done, and I’ve worked some tough jobs in my younger days. All the farmers in the area would use the same crew, so it went farm to farm. Lord-a-mercy did the sweat pour... phwew. It payed pretty good though. Not sure how much of it wound up in someone’s pipe.

Anyone else have the pleasure?

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 5 months ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, but I don't remember it paying very well though, ha ha.

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  3. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Oh it wasn’t spectacular, but IIRC it was a couple bucks higher than minimum wage, so it was perspective based. I was all over it... at first... but it was a blast.

Posted 5 months ago #
  4. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

I have, from the time I was 11-17 years old I would work on an 120 acre tobacco farm. I would work weekend when school was in and everyday excluding sundays during summer. Then when all the bases/contacts got bought out the farm slowly switched to produce. By the time I was 18 or 19 it was 100 percent produce and I would occasionally work there to make a little extra cash. The farm I worked for our tobacco whent to make Marbolo Reds, or at least that's what the owner told me. Cosmic is right, pay sucks for the amount of work that is involved. Job I hated most was hanging it/booking it down.

Posted 5 months ago #
  5. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Definitely! I abhorred climbing up those hot barns and being handed stake after stake of tobacco leaves.

Posted 5 months ago #
  6. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sure did. I grew up farming in the heart of dark-fired country. Quickly decided to work hard in school so I didn't have to do that kind of work when I was 40.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 5 months ago #
  7. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Yeah, being younger and more nimble than a lot of the workers I was always "volunteerd" to have to climb to the 3rd or 4th tier of the barns come hanging time. Looking back it was super dangerous work.

Posted 5 months ago #
  8. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My blind guess is that today half of the workers on the tobacco fields are Mexican or other immigrants, in Spain this is how this is now,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 5 months ago #
  9. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, but I watched some tobacco being put up near Rabbit Hash, KY.

I did work in a barn putting up hay. For one day. Allergic reaction to the hay dust as well as the heat and straining a 15 to toss 65 pound bales. Also helped me decide to make it through college.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  10. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Quickly decided to work hard in school so I didn't have to do that kind of work when I was 40.

Most definitely. I was majoring in Computer Science at the time. I remember thinking that exact thought: I’m NOT going to do this kind of work for a living! Though I often think back to those “good old days” now.

Posted 5 months ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

lawmax3

Login to Send PM

Yep, more than I care to remember.

Posted 5 months ago #
  12. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm terrified of insects, especially grasshoppers, crickets, moths, and jumping things. I couldn't work in a field.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 5 months ago #
  13. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Yep. From 12-16 years old.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 5 months ago #
  14. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Did any of you guys who worked in tobacco fields get interested in pipes that way?

Posted 5 months ago #
  15. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not me, but I did start smoking cigarettes really early.

Posted 5 months ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My late wife (1948-2000) never worked in the fields but would stick tobacco (hang the leaves on sticks to hang in the tobacco curing barn) on her grandparents' tobacco farm in Dover, N.C. I've seen the harvest from the highway going on into the night with the harvester tractor with many headlights aglow.

Posted 5 months ago #
  17. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Did any of you guys who worked in tobacco fields get interested in pipes that way?

That came the year after I quit. I did learn how to make and chew twists at that time though.

Posted 5 months ago #
  18. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Just now picked up the pipe about 9 months ago, but I did start smoking cigs at 16, 31 now

Posted 5 months ago #
  19. yohanan

yohanan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

worked harvesting burley one summer between semesters back in the 80’s. Hardest manual labor I’ve ever done, and I’ve worked some tough jobs in my younger days. All the farmers in the area would use the same crew, so it went farm to farm. Lord-a-mercy did the sweat pour... phwew. It payed pretty good though. Not sure how much of it wound up in someone’s pipe.

Anyone else have the pleasure?

Yes I have, many years ago.

Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks...
    Posted 5 months ago #
  20. upnorth1

upnorth1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Back in the day I picked tobacco in Southern Ontario. We would travel there from Quebec to work the fields. It was back breaking labor, and then we partied hard at night. It paid well because no one wanted to do it.

Posted 5 months ago #
  21. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well.... no...., but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express.

Posted 5 months ago #
  22. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

No, but I watched some tobacco being put up near Rabbit Hash, KY.

Rabbit Hash is just south of me over the river. I worked in northern KY for 30 years.

Knew a lot of people that grew tobacco and often got a few plants free in the spring. Never worked in the fields myself.

There are a lot of varieties available now for home growing you never heard about back then. Burley takes years to be any good if you don't kiln it. I grow Yellow Twist Bud now and it's not bad at all the following spring.

Posted 5 months ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I came to N.C. in 1972 to go to school on GI Bill immediately after service in the USN, delighted to get out a little early to start school. Thank you Navy. When I arrived, tobacco was indeed king. That was the cash crop, and tobacco allotments were precious. Tobacco warehouses were everywhere. Durham and Winston-Salem were permeated with the smell of tobacco. Now, most of the tobacco warehouses that housed the tobacco auctions have been re-purposed as flea markets or other uses or simply stand empty. Cotton, soy beans, and other crops have edged over tobacco many places, and most tobacco is grown under contract rather than for auction, and no-smoking has prevailed in retail areas and on campuses and in many offices and work places. Duke University (...I didn't go there, but to a state school) was founded on tobacco money, but so was the state system. The vast tobacco fortunes still hold some sway, but it is a different world today.

Posted 5 months ago #
  24. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

mso that sounds like rural northern middle TN (where I’m from).

My great grandfathers all grew burley and had a large garden, chickens, pigs, etc. to feed the family. Growing up, it was nothing to pass field after field of tobacco. Now on the occasion when I drive by those same fields, if they haven’t fallen victim to urban sprawl they’re soy, field corn, cotton...

Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   64alex, lawdawg, donjgiles, monkeylyf, craiginthecorn