PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
I started watching this on some obscure channel on weekends. Just found amazon prime has every season included. Fantastic show. The photography is fantastic. Probably the best lighting of almost any black and white shows I've seen. Plus the episodes are very well written. The show predates me by 30 years but, for my taste, it has more substance and value than most modern tv. Plus the reformed sheriff enjoys a pipe.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I watched it some as "reruns" in the late 70's, when I was 7-10 or so. I never noticed those filming details back then.
Thanks for the Amazon tip. I may check it out more.
jay-roger.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
When I was a kid, it was one of the few black and white westerns my dad watched that I would also enjoy. I also liked The Lone Ranger (of course) and Gunsmoke, but preferred the color episodes of Gunsmoke. I love westerns. But mainly those made from the 70s to current.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I watched The Rifleman when I was a kid. I also saw Chuck Connors at my school from time to time when he stopped by to pick up his kid.
A few years back I was asked to restore the color on some very badly deteriorated Ektachromes, publicity stills for The Rifleman. Over the years, the blue record had faded, leaving the overall color very warm. I reconstructed the blue record. Here's a sample:
Original Ektachrome

T68I8xf.jpg

Color corrected:

KZvPfZj.jpg

Color corrected:

2FdzBzR.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cool pics Jesse. I loved it growing up and was pissed I had to wait until the end before Lucas would whip out his rifle and go to town. Most people don't know Chuck Connors played for the Boston Celtics.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
He also played pro baseball. 6'5" too. That last pic of them walking is wonderful.

cerfer

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2017
I remember being a kid and trying like hell to get my BB rifle to fire eleven times just like Lucas. I still don't think I could do it, even with a CGI assist.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
Great show, my favorite TV western. Watched it somewhat as a kid but watched every episode multiple times as an adult on the western channel. Sable...excellent work on those photo's..........

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Johnny Yuma had a loop/lever on his sidearm, if I recall? Nick Adams in The Rebel.

My son gave me a set of Wanted Dead or Alive I've yet to binge watch. Steve McQueen.

Connors was always a favorite and maybe one of the first and best cross over athlete/actors ever.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
One of my favorites is Laramie. I am just about to finish all 4 in a mere few more episodes. When I am through, I will probably watch again. Wanted Dead or Alive was also fun. My dad and I watched the Lone Ranger. I don't even know what is on tv these days as I don't bother with it. I am just happy to stream my favorite old shows and movies. Westerns were big for a long time as they covered a variety of topics from bandits to the fighting between the settlers and cattlemen. I will take black and white or technicolor over cgi any day.
As for the films I don't think I can ever get sick of Audie Murphy,Lee Van Cleef, or Charles Bronson.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
I'm not really a fan of westerns. I found the rifleman to be extremely well written though. The subject matter is quite dramatic and serious but is doesn't come off as being stuffy or preachy.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
So I just finished the first episode after procrastinating watching it. Prime rarely rotates the old westerns, so I gave it a shot. I ended up enjoying it immensely. Some good ole shooting, a father and son, some crooked big shots, and Dennis Hopper guest starring, of course playing a troubled youth role. It's looks like I'm going to settle in and watch it for a while. Good stuff, and that is coming from a western junky. I did have a hard time believing that Dennis Hopper was as good as a shot as he was because he always plays a goofball even in a few other older westerns he did.
Thanks for bringing this one up. The programming in this day and age just seems like a bunch of poop to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.