PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Keep me posted on how it goes. I'd actually like to do some cheroot-sized stogies with my favorite pipe blends. I think they'd be much handier for work breaks than a pipe is.

Jul 12, 2011
will do, plan on doing double binders only for most of my smokes at home - got some Maduro wrappers for dressing up and out on the town smokes :puffy:
I mixed up the sample orders with aged Dominican and Nicaraguan Seco and Ligero also snagged some Indonesian Sumatra Seco as well
I'm looking forward to the blending process as well as getting the technique mastered in rolling - always wanted to roll my own cigars

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Very cool indeed!

Sounds like a lot of fun and I hope it works out well for you...let us know how it goes. :puffy:

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Been growing and rolling my own for a little over 20 years. A tip for you:keep your filler on the dry side, almost but not quite crunchy. Your binder and wrapper can be as moist as you like. Most beginners make the mistake of using a moist filler and when they finish rolling they have a cigar than is more dense than a block of concrete.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It always surprised me that some of the best wrapper comes from that "down home tobacco state ..." Connecticut!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I remember that cobguy was posting pictures of the cigars that he was rolling. Here is the topic:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/hand-rolled-cigars

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I remember that cobguy was posting pictures of the cigars that he was rolling.
Ahhh ... the early attempts! :P
Still rolling and have improved my technique.

Here's a recent pic:
17%2B-%2B1

Jul 12, 2011
Nice cobguy, I'm drooling over that whole leaf - my order should be coming in within the next few days - I'm stoked to get rolling :worship:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's difficult to picture how unruly crunchy tobacco can be packed and rolled firmly into wrappers that are all tobacco yet breathe nicely. It's an art. Give us some pointers as you go along. We may not all try this, but it would be good to contemplate as we pack our briars.

benpipesmoking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2017
Can you put a link or pm me a link to the seller of the leaf and tobacco? I would like to grow some too, maybe in a bucket or small garden bed.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
my order should be coming in within the next few days - I'm stoked to get rolling
Nice! I'm sure you've watched a ton of videos online. The entubado method has always given me the best results. Also, short-fillers from scraps are easy to roll and make a great smoke. Good luck and keep us posted!
BTW ... did you get some pipe-leaf as well? May as well jump with both feet! :puffy:

Jul 12, 2011
Thanks Cobguy. I have been watching tons of Cuban cigar master roller videos. I agree that the entubado method is really the best build method to make sure your draw always hits - ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKfM2RoRcnM ) - :puffy:
I would really love a lieberman rolling machine, but those bad boys are not cheap and I really want to learn hand rolling first before I get lazy :rofl:
I like the pipe-leaf idea, hmmm - oh well...time for another order

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
A hint for first time rollers. Just roll a few at a time, smoke them and use that experience to tweek your rolling. No sense in rolling 10 cigars only to find they are so tight you can't smoke them.

Jan 8, 2017
Pacific Northwest
I was going to try going tobacco to roll my own cigars and / or make pipe tobacco. It appears to be a very hardy plant and could grow just about anywhere. The "turn off" was the aging / curing process; this looks like a whole other can of warms.
I did find LeafOnly in my travels. I have not purchased anything from them but I think I will now.
Thanks, @thesmokindragon! The hypnosis therapy had almost worked!

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
The "turn off" was the aging / curing process; this looks like a whole other can of warms.
Its easier than you think. Most growers build a kiln but the only thing a kiln does is speed up the aging process. You can take your leaf after it is dried and just store it for a year and it'll be ready to smoke.
Try growing some Turkish or a mild Burley.

Status
Not open for further replies.