PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
This is the second tin ive opened up recently and found this. The first was a time of Balkan Sobranie from a B&M, this one is nightcap that I just got from SPC.
img_1310-514x600.jpg

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I had the EXACT same fungus on my sobranie two weeks ago. I posted pics. I got the tin from cup o joes. Opened it, smoked a bowl, jarred it up and less than 3 weeks in jar ..fungus. I emailed coj and they said they have had no other complaints and sent me new tin. I opened it up..soaking wet it was..and jarr3d it.I will see what happens in a couple of weeks with it

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
I learned this when I went to my cigar shop. It is probably not a mold, but rather a sort of crystallization of the tobacco, it happens on cigars all the time. It won't do anything to you if you smoke it, part of a natural process. Someone with better knowledge may be able to help moreso!
Edit: I could be totally wrong here as well! This is just me listening in on someone's conversation at a cigar shop.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
That does not look like any plume I've seen before, but I would love to be wrong about it though

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
p_4120982_0.jpg

Found this on another forum. Not called plume, but it's similar to it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Mold isn't always fuzzy, nor does it always cover what it's growing in with fruiting bodies. And...nobody knows what "plume" is. Lots of guesses, but no real evidence.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
That's not plume if we are talking about the plume we know. And that's not the kind of fuzzy mold we see all the time. I've seen a similar thing before, it was a tin of Dunhill EMP and it had several ribbons with the exact same salt-like crystals on it. My guess, those are oils, not sure though, totally agree with the idea above saying:
You'll have to put it under a scope

Jan 8, 2013
You'll have to put it under a scope
I'm not knocking this at all, Woodsroad, so don't get mad at me :lol: I just get a chuckle every time I see threads like these, because someone always says "Put it under a scope," as if all pipe smokers just happen to have a microscope laying around. Now, that being said, every time one of these threads pops up, and someone mentions a scope, it makes me want to go out and actually buy one :rofl: as it does indeed seem like it would a useful tool for the pipe smoker to have just for a case such as this!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
That's not like any bloom or plume I've ever seen.
This is what I'm used to seeing and usually on Penzance shortly after jarring:
plume210.jpg

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I'm not knocking this at all, Woodsroad, so don't get mad at me :lol: I just get a chuckle every time I see threads like these, because someone always says "Put it under a scope," as if all pipe smokers just happen to have a microscope laying around. Now, that being said, every time one of these threads pops up, and someone mentions a scope, it makes me want to go out and actually buy one :rofl: as it does indeed seem like it would a useful tool for the pipe smoker to have just for a case such as this!
I don't understand Woodsroad's comment as "Go get a scope and check", but "In order to be 100% sure you need it to be checked under the scope". And the question is even if we all had a microscope at home laying around, how many of us could distinguish a mold from plume?

If it was in a tin, in my experience the smell of mold is irrefutable. I'm no expert, but wouldn't all mold that had formed in a sealed tin have an aroma? I would think that if it was some sort of plume or leached mineral, that it wouldn't have any aroma. So, maybe let your nose be your guide.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
What Javan said. Just pointing out that noboby knows what this stuff is because you can't see it and can't identify it.
Now, I have a microspoe, but I also have no idea what I'm looking at. I can tell crystals from fruiting bodies, though.
EDIT: No, not all molds smell like "mold",

Status
Not open for further replies.