PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalby

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
I used Skoal straight long-cut for years, easily exceeding a can a day. (and even more on weekends)

I tried to quit several times, but met with very little success until recently.

My pipes have supplied me with so much more than just relief from nicotine withdrawals, and I no longer miss the head-spinning sensation that a half-can "horseshoe" would deliver.

The ritual of pipe smoking is soothing even before I set flame to leaf, and the level of nicotine is enough to stimulate thought and mental acuity.

How I wish I had discovered pipes sooner!

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
I used to dip cipenhagen long cut or chew red man golden blend. I enjoyed the flavor, but those big lip rippers would make me really dehydrated.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I must admit to still being an occasional dipper. Usually when I'm working outside for an extended period of time, when hunting, or when trail riding (horses) And when on an airplane. But generally I can take it or leave it. It's a lifesaver on long plane rides though... I would prefer a pipe but the stewardesses hate it,,,,,,,,,,,,
I'm glad to hear pipe smoking helped you to quit. It's a tough one to shake.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I started smokeless as a teenager. Skoal Longcut and occasional Copenhagen. After school while in the Air Force I went exclusively Copenhagen for the strength and of course while working around jet fuel smoking was out of the question. After my service I kept with smokeless up until about the year 2000 when I finally gave it up for good after many unsuccessful attempts. My addiction to smokeless was intense and at my worst I would consume a can of Cope in about 3 days.
I don't miss it and these days the pipe is the only way I like to enjoy tobacco.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I've been using Skoal straight longcut for years. I don't even spit anymore. I still smoke nails but have cut way back. A pack will last me about 3 days. I still smoke my pipes everyday though. I'm gradually fading the Skoal and nails out. The nails will be the first to go. I look forward to the day that it's just my pipes.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Good luck mp cutting out the others besides the pipe.
Reading my post I realized pipes aren't the only way I enjoy my tobacco -I like a cigar once in a while. Now with the cooler temperatures I'll be all pipes.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
My first company was basically taking over my father's construction company. In the late 70's we were still building a lot of houses and my couple years with cigarettes was supplemented with "Redman". Framing and roofing up high and trying to smoke wasn't the safest thing. But when I became more white hatted and moved to commercial building it was goodbye nails and all about the sticks.
Craig

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
I have never smoked a cherry blend but I did like Cherry Skoal when I was in my early 20's. My favorite was Levi Garrett or Redman. The Redman was the only one sold in Ontario and it's no longer readily available otherwise I would probably still buy it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've used smokeless, in all of its many forms, since WAY before I was of the legal age to do so! I still like a little Copenhagen every now and then, and sometimes use it on a regular basis when I'm in a place where I can't smoke. I usually have a can handy at all times.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad used to chaw now and then when he was outside. When I was about ten, he offered me a plug.

I kept it in my cheek for quite a while and spit as needed. Then I turned a suitable shade of green, and

that cured me of that habit. As I recall, I did a good job of not looking ill, or at least, stayed on my feet.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I used to thoroughly enjoy copenhagen "snuff" or "fine cut" back in the day. Gave it up due to the spitting, and just couldn't handle 'guttin' it!

ammohouse

Lurker
Sep 13, 2013
I started chewing when I was 14, I'm 43 now. I still chew every day but I hope pipes will cure my habit some. I can't smoke at work because I deal with explosives all day.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I've never tried dip or snuff, I'm quite interested in trying it, but I never quite pull the trigger at the local store. I don't form addictions over any substances including alcohol and tobacco, so I am not worried about that. I'm a more of an "in the mood/occasional/lots of variety" type of user.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I used Copenhagen daily for almost 28 years at the rate of a can a day. This last January I laid it down and haven't had any since. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, I was addicted and suffered withdraws like crazy and my pipes wouldn't touch them. As time went on it got easier and now I am glad I did. The plus side is now I enjoy my pipes much more and get a lot more out of them. I can taste flavors in blends that I never could when I was dipping. I never like Va's because I couldn't taste much in them, now I love them and find all kinds of flavor. Not to mention I just feel much better.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I pretty much had a dip every waking moment except when eating for about 5 years, and on top of that, I gutted it every time. I started developing very painful gastritis, which is inflammation of the stomach lining. I refused to admit or blame it on the dip. Even stopped drinking beer, rather than stop dipping. My wife finally pressured me to quit. Amazingly, I haven't had gastritis one single time. Drink plenty of beer, too!

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
I still dip Skoal Longcut and have for more yaers than I care to admit. I am about to try to ween off of it. I am hoping my pipes will replace the urge. I started chewing back in my old baseball days. Wish I never started as it tough to break away from, or at least I have been told. It is quite expensive as well.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I used to dip Kodiak Wintergreen back in high school. I'd chew Levi Garrett, Red Man, and the occasional Beech Nut if we were fishing or horsing around.
Best nic buzz ever was loading a lip full of Kodiak.
I've always used tobacco in some form, but yeah I wish I'd have discovered pipes sooner. They do more to center and calm me then any blood pressure medication or stress relief techniques I've ever tried.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
I dipped Copenhagen and chewed tobacco for many years. It was part of the culture in Texas where I grew up. I did it all through college and for several years after I got married. I quit for various reasons, got tired of spitting and nasty cups sitting around. I did not use tobacco for several more years and then started smoking a cigar once in a while. I still do smoke the occasional cigar but have moved to my pipe most of the time. Pipe tobacco is cheaper than snuff and cigars for the time being, they smell better than a cigar, and there is no spitting!

Status
Not open for further replies.