Anybody Smoked a Kaywoodie Christmas Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Hi all. I just won a Kaywoodie 2012 Christmas pipe and was wondering if any of you had experience smoking one. What I might expect for smoking properties? Kaywoodies have, in my experience, been at least OK smokers if you get an old one and not so good if it's a new one. It looks great but we all know that looks aren't everything.
Here's the seller's pic (sorry it's big).

$T2eC16F,!zEFIe8yNibTBSRyF37wkg~~60_57.JPG

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Don't know how they smoke, but it is a nice pipe Captain congrats.

~Ron

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My only Kaywoodie experience is that the pipe has a stinger (little metal moisture trap in the stem) but smokes well.

The screw-in stem doesn't bring the bit perpendicular to the bowl as it should, but close enough to smoke with no

problem. It's a good cool, even smoke, in a relatively light pipe that is comfortable to clench and hefty and sturdy in

hand. This pipe you won is a little over rusticated and over-finished for my taste, but with some wear, it might look

more organic and imposing. If I'd been the lucky winner, I guess I'm superstitious enough (though that's not a big

trait with me) to think it might be a pipe meant for me. You won it! I'd give it a go. I think it might win you over.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
By gum, that's the pipe we smoked in the 2012 Northeast Regional Pipe Smoking Contest at the Kaywoodie factory last December. Mine looks more craggy, and its panel sides are more defined, but I'd say it is the same pipe. Shellcraft Natural.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yup - I have the last few Christmas KW pipes from the SloSmoke event up at the KW factory in Peekskill. Like all of my new and old Kaywoodies, the 2012 puffs very well. It's likely that the first bowl in your pipe was Chief Catoonah's Prince's Street Mixture - that was our contest blend. Even on the virgin, unbroken-in pipe, my 2012 opened up the flavors more than most of my pipes.
hp

les

Aug 1, 2012
that's the pipe we smoked in the 2012 Northeast Regional Pipe Smoking Contest at the Kaywoodie factory last December
I believe you're correct. Someday I hope to find my way to that contest if "outsiders" are allowed.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is handmade, push-stem Kaywoodie. I have one, a 2005 POY and it is a wonderful smoker. The POY pipes are huge, their only downside. I believe the Christmas pipes are a little smaller scale, so they should be perfect. I am planning on attending the December party in a few months, at least for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.