PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmkiefer

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
Ontonagon, MI
I love the smell of smoke, any smoke, especially pipe smoke. I've found, when smoking a pipe I don't smell what others around me smell. I do like the sense of "taste" I get when I retrohale (in through the mouth, out through the nose), but still, it doesn't give me that scent I'm looking for. Until now.
I've found a technique which gives me the rich scent of tobacco smoke as if someone else were smoking. I draw in as normal, but to exhale, I simply open my mouth and sort of push the smoke out with my tongue so it floats right in front of my nose. As this happens I then inhale through the nose and enjoy that rich scent I'm looking for.
As with any technique, you need to be sure you're not smoking too hot or it'll sting your nasal passages.
Just thought I'd pass this along and see if maybe anybody else had discovered this as well. Or maybe this is common knowledge and it just took me this long to figure it out.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I do that. I believe it has a name, called "French inhale".
Wikipedia...

French inhale

The French inhale is the action performed by smokers of expelling smoke from the mouth and inhaling it into the nostrils.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_inhale#Methods

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
There is also a technique that takes some practice where you cycle the smoke in your mouth out through your nose without inhaling it. I do this and it works great to get the olfactories involved.
This is important as there are just a handfull of things you can taste (salt, bitter sweet, sour, umami) and millions of things you can smell. Flavor is sensed using both the senses of taste and smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.