Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Just wonder how many of us pipe smokers are also wood workers? This could be either professionally, or like me, just around the house and happy to have cut a straight line??

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
I really enjoy working with wood, either rough for framing purposes or finished for making projects with my sons. I find it requires the same patience to work with wood as it does to smoke a pipe. Anyone else find this to be true?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have been turning wood for years. About once a year I do something with flat boards. The rest of the time is spent on the lathe.
Winton

Aug 1, 2012
I've dabbled in woodworking and worked for a bit as a framer. I'm not good but it's still fun. Remember the golden rule of woodworking. "Measure twice, cut once...curse, get another board and measure again. Cut again and realize you were measuring the wrong length. Measure again, twice, and try the cut again. Realize it's hopeless and get somebody else to do it for you."

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Gecko - looks like you are part of a SWAT unit. I've found that with more practice if been able to turn my messes into something.
Cavendish - good for you! I put the "rough" into rough carpentry for sure. Put I enjoy it a lot. I'm not good enough to even remotely do finish works. However, when I'm done. I'm finished!!
Winton - I've seen lots of wood turning project on www.lumberjocks.com - I've not done that, but my dad had a lathe.
Cap't - looks like you and I read the same rulebook!!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I was a professional cabinet maker for 8 years. Then the Carter economy changed my profession. Probably for the best, though it didn't seem like it at the time. You can suck dust for only a short time before it starts damaging your lungs. Why don't the smoking nazis tackle that problem?

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I've been a pro for 33 years and I still get weak in the knees when I see a highly figured board or pipe. The company I work for does very high end architectural millwork. At last count we've worked for seven folks on the Forbes richest list. I've made a number of pipes and am building my third classical guitar. Here's a photo of number one.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I work with wood quite a bit, houses and barns, down to cabinetry and furniture. I teach woodworking, and am fortunate enough to start work again Monday!

Aug 14, 2012
When I had a shop I did wood and marble sculpture and have carved a lot of exotic woods. I also made a lot of my own furniture. I have not had the workspace for 30 years.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
When I try it I am like CaptainSusie :) Use more wood than the cost of getting a pro in the first place. So I am signing up for a beginners woodwork class in Sept.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I love woodworking. I have made some pipe racks, shelves, walking sticks, right now I'm in the middle of a family totem pole.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
I just had a feeling that there would be some wood workers amongst us pipe smokers. I've mentioned in a few postings here how similar I find this site to be to another site called lumberjocks. Both sites are very active; post a question - get a reply. Both sites have the full spectrum of people; those starting out and those that actually know what they are doing. And both sites have experts that are willing to help us novices.
If you are interested in woodworking and would like to check out a GREAT woodworking site, please check out www.lumberjocks.com, I'm sure you'll find it to be as warm and inviting as this site. And there are even pipe smokers there too! My home page is www.lumberjocks.com/hjt
And to Rebornbriar - glad to hear that you are going to take wood working classes. Where is this at? I wish that offered classes where I live, but I've not found any.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Somewhere around 18 years ago after a divorce I figured it was off to the bar to meet my next ex-wife, or take up a hobby. I bought a table saw, jointer, thickness planer and a few other power tools. Since then I've built most of my furniture, built a log house of over 3,000 sqft. As I built the house in the mountains of Colorado, I next started to build log furniture. I don't build much furniture any longer, but I still have a garage full of tools, and many more fine memories.
I've given away 10 beds and this is the only one I still own. The second picture is a blurry photo of my Colorado home that I sold in 2011.
The bed was almost entirely built from branches and small trees that were cleared from my lot as I built my log house, which took me around 18 months. Also on the foot board corner post, the carvings on top of these post are mice making whoopie, I had a local woodcarver do the carvings after I built the bed. If I had left enough bare wood on the head board I would have added cats staring at the mice. I was an afterthought that I had, to late to act on.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Troutface and Trailspike - nice work!!
Do you sell your guitars or do you make them only for yourself?
My wife would go nuts over that bed! That's a thing of beauty!!! And you built your own house - holy cow that's extraordinary. So all in all do you think it would have been cheaper if you had just gone to the bars???
Thanks for posting.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Most of you have seen my pipes over the past few months, but I actually started as a woodcarver thirty years ago. Primarily carved Western Art...and a couple of hundred pipes at a shop I owned in the Opryland theme park in Nashville. This is about the only piece that I still have- never could sell it...

1hazoy.jpg

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I started playing with wood when my kids were very young, I built three beds, one for each, when they grew out of a crib. Necessity is the mother of invention, and I continued into my senior years out of love for the hobby. I still build an occasional cabinet or small table, and give them to the kids.
Now I'm beginning to turn bowls from the trees growing on my place.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Jack! That's incredible!! What a talent you've been blessed with. I'll have to check out our pipe collection soon, I trust that is on the site here somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.