Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacconists - B&M's and Internet Retailers

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Any Tobacconists in the N. Chicago area?

(8 posts)
  1. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dont have the time to get to Iwan Ries before it closes for the day while I'm here. Are there any other places worth checking out.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only other "real" pipe shop I know closed eons ago, so I don't think you've missed anything, or anything that
    I know about. For the historical record, the shop that closed was the Park Ridge Pipe Shop near the commuter train
    station in the suburb of Park Ridge. This had a resident pipe guru or two and became the hangout for counter culture
    young people. They had real pipes, a good selection of tobaccos, and were probably second only to Iwan Ries despite
    only being a storefront with a limited inventory.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Up Down Cigar, at North Av. & Wells St., seems to devote a fair amount of attention to pipe smokers.
    I've never been there, so I can't advise you beyond providing a link to their website.
    They offer free parking in a nearby lot, which is an important factor in the city these days.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha Cortez. My wife still teases me about the time I went to Iwan Ries and spent more on parking then I did in the shop.

I showed her though. We went back the following year and I spent ten times as much in the shop then I did on parking.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. tabriar

TAB

Login to Send PM

Up Down is nice and stays open much later. Very respectable pipe/pipe tobacco selection.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Up Down looks most interesting. The pipes on their site are all high end, but that may be good. The interior
    looks inviting. Later hours are good. Thanks for the report.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

tppytel

Login to Send PM

@mso489 - The name of the shop in Park Ridge was Bob Rowe's Evening Pipe Shop. It's long, long gone now - Bob passed around 1996 IIRC. Amazing place, though - I grew up in PR and stopped in there regularly (maybe... um... before I was 18, but either old Bob's eyesight wasn't so hot or he just didn't care). By the time I got there, it wasn't much of a gathering place anymore, but you could still feel the echoes of the glory days.

But yeah... these days, it's just Up Down and Iwan Ries as far as I know. Both are very well-stocked, though neither strikes me as especially conducive to friendly conversations and lingering. There are a couple other smoke shops on the north side I've stopped in, but they mostly just do cigars and cigarettes. You might scrounge up a pack of cleaners or a better-than-drugstore blend in a pinch, but they're in no way worth a trip.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. quincy

quincy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is so funny. I just moved to the Chicago area and today I was trying to find a store with a good selection that wouldn't require driving in to the city (I'm south of it, just in to Indiana) and couldn't find a thing!

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   georged, donjgiles, tschiraldi, morgansteele, mso489, lestrout, ajohnb, scrumpyjack, weezell, canadianpuffer