Any Problem With Sanding Finish Off A Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I have a number of estate pipes. If it is beat up or has a crudy/flaking finish or doesnt show the grain very well I will sometimes sand the finish off of everything except the nomenclature and down to 2000 grit sand paper starting at 600. It leaves a supersmooth finish on the smooth pipes that I find appealing. Now assuming I am not trying to sell these pipes, most of them are far south of $20 bucks in purchase price for me, is there any problems doing this? I like the feel and allows me to see the grain that is often covered up by dark stain.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
If you're not worried about re-sale, then I think it's all about what you like.
I've been known to strip wax and a little stain with acetone just to do a surface clean before taking a pipe to the buffing wheel. But I've also done the same, and then followed up with sand paper and micro-mesh to take out dents, scratches and love marks, from the bowl prior to re-staining and then waxing. But that's just me. If you like a naked bowl, you should go for it!
Best,
-- Pat

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Sanding down past the 400-600 grit range I have been told by many pipe makers will seal the pores of the wood, making it difficult to stain. I personally like to sand down to 1,500 and not restain the pipe, the natural look is my thing.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I sanded a couple of lacquered pipes and put some carnauba wax on them. Worked great, no stain.

RattrayNewRight.jpg

ButzNewRight.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I suspect, but do not know, that an original finish is important to pipe collectors, so this would be important

on high end older pipes. I've never seen a pipe on "Antiques Road Show," but with every piece of antique

furniture they point out that removing the original finish reduces the value of the piece by a lot. For more

run-of-the-mill estate pipes, I think you can do with them what you will. I'm not a pipe restorer, but I am

fascinated by the concept of sanding down only to a certain grade of sandpaper, so as not to close the

pores of the pipe. I'm a fan of unfinished pipes. They turn this golden brown that just glows. Savenelli

is a prime source of unfinished pipes. Some of these will have fills, but I think a few small fills only lend

character and distinctiveness. I've always felt that the unfinished briar breathes especially well.

Status
Not open for further replies.