Any People Who Practice Kendo? (Japanese Fencing)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Any fellow pipe smokers that practice Kendo as well? Just curious.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
My dad practiced Karate when I was younger, though I can't remember which style, and I practically slept with his copy of Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kune Do. I did Tae Kwon Do as an adolescent, and while I haven't had any formal training in a number of years, martial arts is something that played a defining roll in who I am today, and will always be in my blood.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I took a kendo class when I was in college, but haven't pursued it since then. I do still have my shinai stored away somewhere. It was too cool to get rid of.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I studied a lot more Batto-do and Tameshigiri but I also studied Kendo. Sadly there are no dojo's here in my town. Most of my current training is simply keeping up on Toyama ryu and Nakamura Ryu.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Both my parents practiced Kendo for a few years. They both still have their Bokken. Sadly I don't think either of them still have their swords.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Japanese and American friends of mine practiced Kendo, when I was living in Japan. I observed a couple of times, but I gravitated toward Karate.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Glad to see that people have tried it or at least know about it! It truly is a wonderful martial art. I think the Zen mentality behind it and a pipe go hand in hand with each other.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I teach and train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai. I also train Mixed Martial Arts and help our fighters prepare and train for upcoming fights when i can. Our Muay Thai program under my Kru is technically a striking program with a foundation and heavy emphasis in Muay Thai, but includes many other techniques from traditional martial arts, jeet kun do, boxing, filipino martial arts and other striking arts such as savate. We also have a Silat Kali program. We sort of live by Bruce Lee's concept of taking/using what is effective and what works from different martial arts and discarding what does not.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I have not studied Kendo, but I did take a couple of years of lessons in Goju-Ryu karate, and I'm now learning Ving Tsun/Wing Chun from a friend of mine. There can certainly be a meditative aspect, even in the hardest of the martial arts.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I studied kenjutsu years ago (late 1980’s?). I still have my katana above my fireplace and the boken is in the closet someplace. Of course not everyone in the class had a katana (expensive!) and most of the practice was done with the boken. However, when the sensei shouted out ‘shinken’ (live blade/steel) the rest of the class immediately stepped back while us few idiots who owned a katana would step forward and the other students just watched. Quite an experience... !

Status
Not open for further replies.