PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
If so, would you recommend it? Pros and Cons welcomed.
Would you consider the bowl to be small, average or large?
I haven't smoked a p-lip in years and am concerned the draw might be too dainty.
It also looks as if the stem might be a bit long for it to be a comfortable clencher.
Is it a fair, good, or excellent smoker?
Thanks.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I smoke one in my rotation, the draw isn't up to that of the Tsuge Tankard I have but it smokes fine, not particularly a P-lip fan but it's not a hindrance, mine is over 20 y/o so I don't know how it compares to the modern day one. Cheers.

banjo
The bowl is a bit more than medium and the pipe very light, stem length is perfect IMHO.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I'm curious about these, too. The P-Lip is what holds me back. Otherwise, it looks like a briar version of a Cob.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one P-Lip, a Rhody 999 not a Tankard, and I enjoy smoking it, but one is enough. The Tankard looks a bit frail to me. I went all the way to their Belgique Rustique for a small pipe, fishtail stem, and I like it a lot.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have one that I got re-stemmed after breaking the first stem. I like it a lot more with the regular fish tail then I did as a p-lip. I would say that it would be on the small side of average, maybe a 2-3 size.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have a 2 year old rusticated Tankard that I smoke regularily. It was my first P-lip pipe and although different at first I don't mind the P-lip at all now. I also have a Killarney 69 P-lip. I'm not much of a clencher but when need be both clench just fine. I really enjoy smoking the Tankard and also like that I can set it down anywhere when need be. YMMV but I am very happy with mine. :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I restored and sold this Tankard last year, via the Buy/Sell/Trade section. I've been having regrets ever since...

The new owner, a member here, has it at the Allentown and Philly club meetings and really seems to enjoy it. It had a vulcanite, P-lip stem that I didn't think would work for me. The little thing was only 20-couple grams. I've since acquired a Pre-Republic P-lip stem and I really enjoy it.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Nice job and some nice grain for a pipe in its class. But is that really a tankard.? I thought a tankard was essentially a poker with a flat bottom?
Here is the one I'm looking at.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That one had a flat bottom, but it was stamped "Barrel".

Personally, I don't like the new Peterson acrylic stems (they initially turned me off to the p-lip), but they do offer some pipe with Vulcanite stems.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I had one Peterson P-lip but it was so many years ago and my recollection is vague other than I wasn't impressed. On the other hand, the tankard shape is one of the few Peterson offers that appeals to me in some way. I pulled the trigger and will take a look. thanks

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I have a number of p-lips from a batch purchased from an e-bay seller. I like them if they are not rounded too much. One has an almost round bit and is very uncomfortable, for me, to clinch. I like to smoke them if I have overindulged my tongue. Flat fish stems the rest of the time for me.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I have the ebony tankard. Not really a fan of the P-lip. I'd say it's a good smoker, but definitely not great. I thought I'd really like it due to size (average to small) since I don't often have time to sit with a large pipe, but I haven't found anything that really sings in it. I've tried flakes with all sorts of prep, ribbons, shags...almost all require more relights in this pipe than any other. I also just am not a fan of the mouthfeel of where the p-lip directs the smoke. I only smoke this guy now when I'm in a tux (which I expect is more than most as I get in one for performances somewhat frequently).
EDIT: Haha--just realized my avatar is me, in a tux, with my pete!

Status
Not open for further replies.