PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
I know that there are some here so I wanted to brag a little. I petitioned to the Springville, Tn lodge about three weeks ago and received the news yesterday that I have been accepted! This coming Tuesday I go to the lodge to receive my first degree.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
werebear:
If you are charged in the first degree, then here's someone who can help:
th

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
The jars I keep my baccy in are alleged to be Masons...should I be concerned that there's a secret plot to pillage my leaf and use its influence for their own clandestine ends...? :puffpipe:

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Man, unless you have tried before, you can't possibly believe how difficult it is to keep those walls perfectly straight and even. Very aggravating! Lol

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yup, from the headline I thought it was bricklaying. I'd get a little nervous in buildings with no windows, but that's what makes it secret.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've never quite understood the Masons. I have a friend who is a 32 degree Mason. Technically, I can never become one because the Catholic Church forbids joining them on pain of excommunication; the Church formed the Knights of Columbus as a counter. Something about the nature of a secret society, I guess. But they have certainly been influential--most of the Founding Fathers were Masons, as is obvious from dollar bills. When I was involved doing a story on the Kirtland Warbler years ago, Kirtland Community College had a warbler festival (the bird is rare and has an extraordinary life cycle) and the local Masonic lodge served up the best BBQ chicken I ever had at the festival picnic. But in any event, congrats to you! (Just ease off on the bloodletting ! :)

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
My Paternal Great Grandfather came to the U.S. via Canada from Scotland (the Clan is from the far northern Highlands) . His son was a Mason (so I'm sure Great Grandpa was, too), and became head of the local Lodge where they lived. Dad's older brother was also a Mason, and several of Dad's cousins were, too. (These men were all farmers with adjoining acreage.) At my Uncle's funeral they all came wearing the apron thing with the Masonic emblem. Dad has told me that as a boy you join DeMolay. He either didn't or quit, I don't remember now. I tell people that Grandpa was the Grand Pooba (a Flintstones cartoon reference, for those who don't know). As far as I know, no one of my generation joined. It never came up as something to do for me. I did have a friend in the High School Band drum section who was in DeMolay, but I never asked him about it. I had an old book on Masonry that I got from my Grandparents, but it's long gone. I often wish I'd kept it. Considering where they lived, I doubt they were initiated into any High Mysteries. But there was apparently a tradition in the Clan to be a Mason, otherwise I can't imagine why it was occurring in the first three generations of the U.S. Branch.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I'm a travelin' man. Congrats on your petition making it through. America needs more masons, the fabric of our society is very masonic. Good luck on your travels in Light.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
@sparrowhawk The Catholic Church has squashed it's grievance with masons, which really dates back to issues with the Knights Templar. I'm Catholic and a mason. Just passing the word. There are a lot of myths surrounding the oldest fraternity in the world. We try to bust them from time to time, but mostly shrug and go about our business. 8)

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Maxx, which clan? Morgan/McKay, here. Can't get much farther north than McKay highlands, unless you want to get wet!
Welcome, WB, to the first step towards enlightenment and brotherhood. Keep us apprised of you journey.
~Life Member, Warren Lodge #10, AF&AM, Jacksonville, Oregon, USA.

Knight Templar, Ashland Commandery, York Rite, Ashland, Oregon, USA

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
My maternal grandparents were very involved in Masons and Eastern Star. My father was also a Mason until he realized that the organization was segregated, at which time he resigned.

Status
Not open for further replies.