PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
I originally hailed from Ohio so got interested in Bessai pipes. They have been covered on this forum with several good articles. His higher grade pipes were called Special with some marked special X. This is the latest addition-- a Rhodesian marked Special X. Wasn't in very good shape so took a fair amount of time to get it looking better. I have collected about 10 of his pipes of varying grades which I will post later in the show your pipe section. I have been favoring bulldogs and rhodesians so this fits right in. This one looks very much like a Comoys 409 Any comments, suggestions, history and other Bessai pipes always welcomed. Thanks, Hoppes
Before:
bessai-rhody.jpg

bessai-rody2.jpg

bessai-rody3.jpg

After:
img_0567.jpg

img_0576.jpg

img_0578.jpg

img_0586.jpg

img_0585.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Just picked up,an X grade Bessai Pot on the bay, will have it restored, the seller took my best offer.

banjo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the bottom of the bowls on 'dogs tells a lot about the carver's skill. This is a beautiful job. You can just round everything out, but the good crafts people can really do some beautiful transitions from the curves to the edges. The good ones have some fun and do quite a bit of artistry in this subtle way.

Status
Not open for further replies.